ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

This Mac devotee is moving to Linux

<< < (2/4) > >>

daddydave:

I'm used to ditzing around getting wifi to work. This time out, I needed no drivers or firmware hacks. I booted to my desktop and was politely informed that WAPs were in range to connect to. (I almost fainted!)

Give the live CD a try. You may find some joy with that yet.  :Thmbsup:
-40hz (June 21, 2010, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good to hear. And may I  assume WPA works out of the box, too?

Lack of wireless/WPA support for random wi-fi cards was always a barrier for me last few rounds with Linux. Although nowadays I use powerline networking, which appears as ethernet, so it wouldn't matter.

Jibz:

* there was decent software for graphics and video (at least as function as Photoshop Elements and Sony Vegas-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2010, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually find myself using Gimp most of the time, even though I am running Windows and have both that and Photoshop Elements installed.

I like the more 'open' workspace and it can do the same photo fixing I used to do in PSE.

40hz:
I  assume WPA works out of the box, too?
-daddydave (June 21, 2010, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did for me on an older Intel box using a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO USB which has been sporadically fussy under Windows.

It connected to my low-security home router (which is using WPA-PSK) without a blip. The supplicant monitor reported the signal as 'excellent.' Under Windows it's usually only 'good' or 'very good.' Files seem to download a touch quicker under Ubuntu so I'm guessing what it's reporting is really a better signal. That or possibly better system efficiency (HD access, network overhead, etc.) overall.

Like I said, I almost fainted!  ;D

Carol Haynes:
Interesting to hear that WiFi is getting there.

GIMP - nah ... absolutely hate it ... it always feels as though someone has randomly spewed incomprehensible windows all over the screen and it isn't designed for print media (it was specifically designed for web images - and yes I know it can be used for more but ...). I know PhotoShop is complicated too but I do like Photoshop and have invested a lot of money in it over the years. Now if Adobe want to expand to Linux too ... (yes I know there is a gimp skin that makes it look a little bit like photoshop but the underlying software is not brilliant IMHO).

For me printer support is the biggest bugbear ... I know you can use standard 'generic' drivers to get something out but over years I have tried with various printers and have yet to find one that produces a decent printout from Linux. As for all-in-one printers you can forget it. I love my Canon printer and it is fantastic that I can stand in another room and scan an image directly to any computer on the network. I have yet to find any kind of scanner driver that works with any scanner on Linux - let alone a decent driver that takes advantage of all the features.

rjbull:
I would use Linux if ...
-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2010, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

But, would you, really?  You run a PC support business.  Isn't that a de facto Windows support business?

* any sort of drivers that work with all-in-one network based printers from major players (and in particular Canon)
--- End quote ---

Which Canon MFPs do you like?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version