ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

This Mac devotee is moving to Linux

<< < (4/4)

zridling:
The 1-2% user base of Linux (larger outside the US) is just not enough to attract a commercial graphics vendor. It got a text editor to come along in UltraEdit, but Carol speaks for many a Windows user in her fondness for and skill with Photoshop.

Women don't care much about if an operating system is "free" or in a "walled garden", but if the system is easy to understand how to use. And this is exactly where Linux is failing BIG time. My point is, that Linux never will be a major system until women easily can operate it.-Curt (June 21, 2010, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Women, really? I'd say the youngest and the oldest among us. Curt, from installation to software management to disc burning and to security, it doesn't get much easier than today's KDE. If it were, I would have never bothered since I don't have the time I once had to futz with my system. If you combine the fact that more people than ever spend their online time among social and SaaS sites, the Apple user Dan Gillmore just doesn't want to be walled into buying Apple products in perpetuity.

The very way a Linux works, proves beyond reasonable doubt that it is a system written by male geeks, for male geeks.-Curt (June 21, 2010, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why yes, yes it was. Linus Torvalds, et al. I'm sure you know the story by now, and much of that legacy was embedded by Unix-think.

Nowadays the authors are told Linux must be easier to operate, so some of the Linux software authors try adding userfriendly procedures, but so far only "some" & "try". There are still so many details under the surface where a request for help will result in an answer including geek talk impossible to understand for normal people (man or woman!).-Curt (June 21, 2010, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious, can you give an example? I presume you're talking about the BASH shell, where you might enter commands like this or this? If so, I haven't opened a shell window in a long time on my openSUSE system. I could, but like Windows, there's rarely a need for the common user under KDE.

Carol Haynes:
I am using a Canon Pixma MX850
-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2010, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not the point of this thread I know, but I've found this printer to be so good that I just had to add  :up: :up: :up:

-cranioscopical (June 21, 2010, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL - I'll add another few  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
My point is, that Linux never will be a major system until women easily can operate it.
- and this should give people like me a chance as well ;-)-Curt (June 21, 2010, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

But...but...Curt! I thought the deficiency of women not being able to operate it was solved with the release of Hannah Montana Linux!

rgdot:
^ That's it I am now using Linux  :P

The masses you are talking about has problems using Windows too. A geek will notice that the reason the print output is poor or not working is because of Ubuntu's lack of driver support, another person will almost certainly not. Despite mass adoption and all that stuff we are still not at a point where users can 'fully' play and work with Windows out of the box. I still get questions about where to plug in the USB, and not only from grandparents.

What I am getting at is the entry point to computers is still an open entry point. If a Linux loaded computer is sitting at a shop and the customer has some familiarity with (through marketing for example) it then it has a chance and the person wouldn't know the difference between 'no linux driver support' and 'windows BSOD' when something doesn't work

skwire:
I am using a Canon Pixma MX850
-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2010, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not the point of this thread I know, but I've found this printer to be so good that I just had to add  :up: :up: :up:-cranioscopical (June 21, 2010, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  We have one, too, and love it.  It gets quite a workout during school months as my daughters get older.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version