ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how they create such beautiful graphics?

<< < (4/6) > >>

parkint:
At the risk of sounding trite, they did it by hiring an artist to do it.
-40hz (June 20, 2010, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
A point well made.

JavaJones:
The "an artist did it, the tools don't matter" point is true, but only to a point. An artist with a lifetime of experience using paint, colored pencils, and other traditional media A: is likely to not be able to reproduce that clean CG style and B: even if given the CG app that was used to make the examples above, would not necessarily be able to reproduce it, at least not without a whole lot of learning. At the same time, yes you could take a random person, train them to use e.g. Blender, and then show them that scene and they could reproduce it. It's arguably not even "art", it's more "illustration" or even "design", and there is lots of debate over the overlap of art, illustration, and design...

- Oshyan

40hz:
At the same time, yes you could take a random person, train them to use e.g. Blender, and then show them that scene and they could reproduce it.
-JavaJones (June 20, 2010, 11:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Possibly. I've heard this argument before. But I'd still like to see someone with no graphics background or art training actually do it so well that it would fool someone who knew what she was looking at.

And in the case of a trained artist, picking up a new 'toolkit' isn't going to be that big of a technical challenge for most of them.

Far easier to teach an artist how to use a piece of software than it is to teach a software user how to be an artist.

I see the same thing with music software. I can invariably hear the difference between a piece composed by a musician and a piece by a non-musician. (Hint: At its best, the non-musician stuff seldom rises above the level of being  'clever.') And many non-musicians can hear the difference too.

Just my 2ยข  :)

40hz:
Sorry, but the first one just looked awkward to me.  :(

It took me a few seconds to realise it was the serif typeface someone had used to add one of the labels  :o
-katykaty (June 20, 2010, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good catch!  :Thmbsup:

Inconsistent text styling. Arggghhhhh!!!!

I wish I had a nickle for the number of times I've seen that mistake slip through multiple stages of proofing.

Any good platemaker should have spotted it even if the designers didn't. And an experienced pressman should have also caught it after he pulled his first few sets of proof sheets.

But I guess it didn't happen this time.  :-\

JavaJones:
And in the case of a trained artist, picking up a new 'toolkit' isn't going to be that big of a technical challenge for most of them.

-40hz (June 21, 2010, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you assume the artist already uses software programs and computers for their work, then maybe this is a reasonable assumption. Otherwise it's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Someone who paints with a brush is going to be able to pick up a computer-based tool, much less a highly complex 3D modeling and rendering application? I'm sorry, I don't think so. I've seen endless numbers of traditional artists, even those used to computers (both those who use computers in their art work and those who don't) who, despite extensive artistic knowledge and skill, are baffled by 3D modeling programs. It's a totally different paradigm and way of working. It's like expecting a talented painter to easily learn how to sculpt with equal talent.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version