ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the computer have to pause when you stick in a blank dvd/cd?

<< < (4/4)

Carol Haynes:
If you have enough memory you could try disabling the page file completely and see if that has any effect. It is in the System settings from the Control Panel under Advanced/Performance settings.

JavaJones:
I'd be very surprised if the page file had any significant effect on the described "pause" effect. It's not paging-related as far as my experience goes, it's more like single-threading, resource locking, or interrupt contention. Basically it seems like a fundamental system flaw. I'm eager to hear from Linux folks on whether this happens on PC hardware running Linux...

- Oshyan

MilesAhead:
If you have enough memory you could try disabling the page file completely and see if that has any effect. It is in the System settings from the Control Panel under Advanced/Performance settings.
-Carol Haynes (June 25, 2010, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I run both Vista64 and Windows Seven 32 bit with no pagefile.sys.  It has nothing to do with optical drive lag.  I think it's just Explorer. In fact if you mess up programming an Explorer extension, such as a context menu extension or whatever, I believe you can hang it.  That's why when it calls shell extensions it breaks it up into bits.  Initialize to give you a list of selected files or whatever, then another call if you want to put something in the context menu, then actually executing a command if one of yours was selected in the menu.  If you hang it or crash it the user has to do Task Manager to launch another instance of Explorer.

It would be interesting to try an Explorer replacement that's multi-threaded and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version