ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the computer have to pause when you stick in a blank dvd/cd?

<< < (3/4) > >>

cranioscopical:
The Amiga was pure distilled awesomeness condensed into a beige-brown box. There are things the Amiga could do that modern computers *still* can't (won't?) do.
-Innuendo (June 21, 2010, 09:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen to that!

cranioscopical:

Because the cd is upside down and the machine is taken aback by the disc-overy?

Carol Haynes:
I don't know why (well okay it was pointed out above that disk i/o needs multi-threading) but it seems any disk activity puts everything else to sleep until Windows wakes up after disk i/o.
-Daleus (June 21, 2010, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Could this have something to do with the use of pagefiles and the need to complete page transfers in one go without interruption?

MilesAhead:

Because the cd is upside down and the machine is taken aback by the disc-overy?
-cranioscopical (June 22, 2010, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

It needs to know if you want fries with that. :)

Daleus:
I don't know why (well okay it was pointed out above that disk i/o needs multi-threading) but it seems any disk activity puts everything else to sleep until Windows wakes up after disk i/o.
-Daleus (June 21, 2010, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Could this have something to do with the use of pagefiles and the need to complete page transfers in one go without interruption?-Carol Haynes (June 22, 2010, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dunno Carol - you're the MS expert here, not me.  But your comment suggests that perhaps I could make some adjustments/tweaks to improve that performance.  Can that be done, without impacting the rest of the system. It really bugs me that much!

As for fries with that, I'd prefer it would ask me if I'd like a long and langourous foot massage - something I could use rather than an extra inch on the ole waistline!

[/quote]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version