ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the computer have to pause when you stick in a blank dvd/cd?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/18

It reminds me of accessing a floppy drive.  The thing is so slow they must be afraid if it doesn't have the undivided attention of the system it won't pick up what it needs to get off the dime...  one of those things like "It's been broken for so long, don't try to fix it."
-MilesAhead (June 20, 2010, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

From that article:

Reimplement disk access.
Don't wait for one disk/network operation to complete in order to continue - multitask!
Asynchronous I/O is the answer here.
--- End quote ---

He's bang on.

This and programs stealing focus are the 2 worst things in Windows that really p**s me off.

I simply do not understand why there can't be some degree of isolation there. Well, from a software standpoint. I suppose that from the hardware perspective there is a good reason.

What we really need is multi-access-mode-random-access-memory-storage. MAMRAMS~! :P

MilesAhead:
Any Linux gurus out there to say if the same CD load lag happens there?
I haven't used it for any length of time in years.  Just curious if different drivers may make a difference.  Also X should be different than Explorer.

Daleus:
It's called crap PC architecture.

I don't know why (well okay it was pointed out above that disk i/o needs multi-threading) but it seems any disk activity puts everything else to sleep until Windows wakes up after disk i/o.

Back in the Amiga days, they implemented a custom chip to handle all disk i/o, and the pause that gnaws was eliminated. It's something that has bugged my britches since I started using PCs.

Further, what's with Windows Explorer, when switch to a new folder, briefly shows you the contents just fine, then at times, blanks the list and proceeds to "Search" for a minute to find what it just displayed perfectly fine?  Grrrrr.

Okay I feel better now.

MilesAhead:
Here's a weirdie for you.  I could never get Windows Seven to change the default command for the optical drive to Open rather than Play. I tried all the settings and tips from all the boards.

Now I just looked again, and afaict, the only difference is I changed from double click for launch to single click mode.  Now Open is the default!!!  Hey, I'll take it however I can get it!!

Innuendo:
Back in the Amiga days, they implemented a custom chip to handle all disk i/o, and the pause that gnaws was eliminated. It's something that has bugged my britches since I started using PCs.-Daleus (June 21, 2010, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Amiga was pure distilled awesomeness condensed into a beige-brown box. There are things the Amiga could do that modern computers *still* can't (won't?) do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version