ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the computer have to pause when you stick in a blank dvd/cd?

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
Seriously, why does this have to happen?  When I have to stick in a blank cd or dvd, the computer has to pause while it reads it.  Ok, not all of the computer pauses...but the file explorer and burning software both pause.  Why?  Why aren't be beyond this yet?

Renegade:
They pause because they aren't multithreaded and they are waiting for the OS to mount the CD then read it. I don't know of any good file explorers that are written closer to the metal to avoid delays and the like. It probably could be done.

One of the problems in Windows is that file meta data gets read (size, read-only, EXIF-type info, etc.) and that is very time consuming. Other systems get around that by only reading the file name to start, which doesn't truly solve the problem, but works around it.

etc. etc.

I think that to get beyond this, we pretty much need to wait for Microsoft to come out with their new file system. That might do it -- not too sure though. It is completely different from any other file system. Right now file systems are all pretty much the same. MS's new one is supposed to be a sort of database. I don't know how normalized it will be, or any of that, but I'm sure you can look it up.

JavaJones:
I'm not so sure this is a file system issue. It may also be either A: storage system drivers or B: storage system fundamental limitations (i.e. inability to perform multiple simultaneous operations in certain cases). I'm not certain of the reason though.

- Oshyan

Renegade:
Whether it's at the file system level, or at a lower level (hardware), I don't think really will make much of a difference to the question there --- either way, there's really no reason to have the kind of delays that you get. I'm relatively certain that it is because of no multithreading. It would be simple enough to have a thread poll for significant changes (like mounting a new drive), and ping that thread for information periodically. Why it isn't done is anyone's guess. It may be more difficult than I'm guessing it would be.

I pointed out the file system issue because it has to do with how Windows loads metadata from files, which makes things slower. It's not directly related to mounting a new drive, but it puts some perspective on things. (e.g. Loading a directory of pictures takes much longer than simple text files.)

I think you're right about the driver/storage system issue though. That's going to be a limiting factor on how information gets bubbled up through the OS to the file explorer. What I don't get, is why those kinds of things aren't done in a thread so that the file explorer is more responsive. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear about it.

MilesAhead:
http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/18

It reminds me of accessing a floppy drive.  The thing is so slow they must be afraid if it doesn't have the undivided attention of the system it won't pick up what it needs to get off the dime...  one of those things like "It's been broken for so long, don't try to fix it."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version