ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Tray Management Utilities Mini-Review

<< < (14/19) > >>

dr_andus:
If you have set the tray icons to be displayed by default, and yet some icons are still sometimes not displaying, then this is a recognised Win7 bug, to which a common workaround is to restart Windows Explorer.
You could do that (stop then start Windows Explorer) from the Windows Task Manager, or (better) use a utility called Restart Explorer:
-IainB (December 26, 2013, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Ian. I use Dopus, so maybe most of the time I'm not even aware that Explorer has crashed. I'll try Restart Explorer and see if things improve.

I kind of like what PS Tray Factory does and wish I could use that instead but unfortunately it does not work 100% on my Win7, 64-bit machine. Certain icons would just persist in the tray, even when I select them off, or there would be duplicates of some, with no way to deselect them. Plus some other glitches, which make me reluctant to shell out money for it.

TaoPhoenix:
Some random comments:

... I use Dopus, so maybe most of the time I'm not even aware that Explorer has crashed. I'll try Restart Explorer and see if things improve.

I kind of like what PS Tray Factory does and wish I could use that instead but unfortunately it does not work 100% on my Win7, 64-bit machine. Certain icons would just persist in the tray, even when I select them off, or there would be duplicates of some, with no way to deselect them. Plus some other glitches, which make me reluctant to shell out money for it.
-dr_andus (December 27, 2013, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Usually on my (WinXP) box in Explorer crashes, usually it takes everything with it into a system hang! So fortunately it's not that often! (Note to self one of these years I have to optimize MS Sec Essentials upon reboot!)

But as for the tray, I have 15 icons there but 11 of them I care about. So I guess I'm not in the market for these but I can see you hotshot types with 27 icons might want one! : )

dr_andus:
If you have set the tray icons to be displayed by default, and yet some icons are still sometimes not displaying, then this is a recognised Win7 bug, to which a common workaround is to restart Windows Explorer.
You could do that (stop then start Windows Explorer) from the Windows Task Manager, or (better) use a utility called Restart Explorer:
-IainB (December 26, 2013, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Ian. I use Dopus, so maybe most of the time I'm not even aware that Explorer has crashed. I'll try Restart Explorer and see if things improve.
-dr_andus (December 27, 2013, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

IainB, thanks once more for bringing "Restart Explorer" to my attention. It's great, it does fix my tray icon problem, and I use it all the time.

Which brings me to the question, why can't MS fix this bug then? Explorer on my system (Win7, 64-bit) seems to crash already during boot-up, pretty much every time. Considering that Explorer seems to be sort of central to Windows, I'm puzzled that this problem is persisting.

Has this been fixed in Win8?

wraith808:
If explorer is crashing on boot up every time- there's some conflict with your system.

Does it happen if you disable all start up items?

Does it happen in safe mode?

Those two will point out why explorer is crashing.  Easier if it's crashing when you disable all start up items.  Enable them one at a time.  See when it crashes.  And this isn't just items in the startup folder in the start menu- you'll need to look at registry and .ini and services.

Tedious, but it's the only way to know why its happening.

As far as why they haven't fixed it... /shrugs

Not a priority with other things?  Not as easy as it seems?

dr_andus:
Tedious, but it's the only way to know why its happening.
-wraith808 (February 26, 2014, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, that does sound tedious. I have some 20 items in the startup folder alone. As long as I don't reboot often, it's not a problem, so if there is no long term damage, using the "Restart Explorer" is currently a more attractive option...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version