ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Tray Management Utilities Mini-Review

<< < (13/19) > >>

dr_andus:
I did install a bunch of non-critical windows updates lately. Maybe one of them helped, but I really dont know.
-tomos (December 24, 2013, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for letting me know. My system is up-to-date though, bar the Bing Desktop, which probably not gonna fix it.  ;)

superboyac:
damn...i remember this review from waaaaay back.  holy cow.

IainB:
...Basically my Win7 native system tray stopped working as it's supposed to. ...
-dr_andus (December 24, 2013, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you have set the tray icons to be displayed by default, and yet some icons are still sometimes not displaying, then this is a recognised Win7 bug, to which a common workaround is to restart Windows Explorer.
You could do that (stop then start Windows Explorer) from the Windows Task Manager, or (better) use a utility called Restart Explorer:

how do you restart windows explorer?  The only way i know how is to crash it.-superboyac (August 06, 2012, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Open Task Manager
End explorer.exe process
File->New Task and enter explorer.exe

Or, try this: Add Restart Explorer to Context Menu which does the same thing in a more user-friendly manner.
-4wd (August 06, 2012, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

rjbull:
Restart Explorer-IainB (December 26, 2013, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I found this somewhere around the Net:

rebuild tray icons.bat
----------------------
@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
explorer.exe

IainB:
@rjbull: Ah, thanks, I knew there was a DOS command that could do it, but had forgotten what it was. I think I might put that batch into my AHK-L  file and remove Restart Explorer (one less program).
That is a powerful DOS command, per the taskkill /? enquiry:

--- Code: Text ---TASKKILL [/S system [/U username [/P [password]]]]         { [/FI filter] [/PID processid | /IM imagename] } [/T] [/F] Description:    This tool is used to terminate tasks by process id (PID) or image name. Parameter List:    /S    system           Specifies the remote system to connect to.     /U    [domain\]user    Specifies the user context under which the                           command should execute.     /P    [password]       Specifies the password for the given user                           context. Prompts for input if omitted.     /FI   filter           Applies a filter to select a set of tasks.                           Allows "*" to be used. ex. imagename eq acme*     /PID  processid        Specifies the PID of the process to be terminated.                           Use TaskList to get the PID.     /IM   imagename        Specifies the image name of the process                           to be terminated. Wildcard '*' can be used                           to specify all tasks or image names.     /T                     Terminates the specified process and any                           child processes which were started by it.     /F                     Specifies to forcefully terminate the process(es).     /?                     Displays this help message.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version