ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Tray Management Utilities Mini-Review

<< < (17/19) > >>

tomos:
In recent weeks my system tray has started acting up. It would stop displaying a whole lot of icons for software that are otherwise running. This is occurring randomly, i.e. after some rebooting or waking up the system tray either works properly or it doesn't.
-dr_andus (December 24, 2013, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had that problem over the last couple of months with 7 x64 - seems to have stabilised now though FWIW. I did install a bunch of non-critical windows updates lately. Maybe one of them helped, but I really dont know.
-tomos (December 24, 2013, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

having this problem again more often (it never went completely).
Does not seem to be related to Explorer - Windows Explorer has not crashed - not that I noticed anyways, and it's running normally as I write, with one icon blank in the tray, and about six others not showing at all.-tomos (May 20, 2015, 07:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've noticed that if I leave Windows alone on startup, that all apps seem to show correctly.
I think what happens is that if I start using the machine before *everything* is loaded, then the tray display screws up.

Noticed that last week, I now leave the machine good time to start and have not had problems since, hopefully it will stay this way...

I dont use sleep or hibernate so cant comment on those situations.

dr_andus:
I only seem to have problems with the systray when booting up. I've gotten into the habit of running the "Restart Explorer" utility below, and that sorts things out (though I suspect that a lot of icons are still not displayed, but at least the ones I care about are there, in the order I want them to).

Add Restart Explorer to Context Menu
-4wd (August 06, 2012, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

tomos:
Look at *my* tray :D ... :( :(

Possibly related:
I did a bunch of Windows (7) security updates yesterday.
Rebooted fine.
I restarted explorer.exe later (via Process Explorer), tbh, I cant remember why :-[
Later, Windows would not close down - I had to force a reboot.
Today, the tray was fine initially and I havent been doing any funny business...

PS the popup with hidden icons shows as expected

MilesAhead:
Look at *my* tray :D ... :( :(

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Possibly related:
I did a bunch of Windows (7) security updates yesterday.
Rebooted fine.
I restarted explorer.exe later (via Process Explorer), tbh, I cant remember why :-[
Later, Windows would not close down - I had to force a reboot.
Today, the tray was fine initially and I havent been doing any funny business...

PS the popup with hidden icons shows as expected
-tomos (September 23, 2015, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any time you run Windows Update, just about anything can happen.  That is why I disable it.  Of course on the Windows support forums that is an unpopular bit of advice since MS needs to push out the updates to plug the security holes etc..

Other than going through the updates one by one to see if one is bad all I can suggest is open the tray option popup thingie and first uncheck the box that says "show all icons and notifications."  Then set each individual one to show both icons and notifications.  Then check the box again to always show all icons and notifications.  As a last resort you can try flushing the notification cache.  CCleaner has an option to do it I believe.

If all else fails if your system is good with restore points and you have one from just before the updates, you could try going back to then.

tomos:
Any time you run Windows Update, just about anything can happen.  That is why I disable it.  Of course on the Windows support forums that is an unpopular bit of advice since MS needs to push out the updates to plug the security holes etc..

Other than going through the updates one by one to see if one is bad all I can suggest is open the tray option popup thingie and first uncheck the box that says "show all icons and notifications."  Then set each individual one to show both icons and notifications.  Then check the box again to always show all icons and notifications.  As a last resort you can try flushing the notification cache.  CCleaner has an option to do it I believe.

If all else fails if your system is good with restore points and you have one from just before the updates, you could try going back to then.
-MilesAhead (September 23, 2015, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

that sounds like faaar too much work :D
I'm going to be lazy, and see if a reboot fixes it ;-)

I remembered why I restarted explorer and it could be related -- to the hang on shutdown at any rate:
I have a dodgy bank of USB ports on top-front of the (desktop) case. On a couple of occasions have completely stopped working, and have been very buggy beforehand.

Will get back if it remains a problem -- hoping it was just a once off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version