ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Vivaldi: Promising yet.

<< < (2/2)

xtabber:
Vivaldi looks promising, but not quite there yet.

In terms of performance, it is no different than the current version of Opera (33), which is to be expected, since they are both essentially skins applied to the same Chromium engine.  I had used Opera since 1999, and switched from 12.x to the Chromium version about a year ago, when it finally got some features that are essential to me, like print preview.  Vivaldi brings back some of what I missed from the classic version of Opera, like side panels, but many features in both Vivaldi and the new Opera are almost the same.

Vivaldi does seem to be more customizable and flexible than Opera, but there is absolutely no help or documentation at this time, so finding out what you can do is mostly a matter of playing around and seeing what happens.

The main reason I will continue to use Opera for the time being is that Vivaldi does not appear to have much in the way of privacy controls.  You can clear personal data, but AFAICT, you can't set to clear on exit nor to exempt specific sites.

Tuxman:
After some investigation, I was told that Vivaldi will (unlike Opera) probably never have a real MDI interface. Sad.

when it finally got some features that are essential to me, like print preview.-xtabber (November 07, 2015, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

In Germany, we use the term "internet printers" for politicians ...  ;D

The main reason I will continue to use Opera for the time being is that Vivaldi does not appear to have much in the way of privacy controls.-xtabber (November 07, 2015, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vivaldi already works "great" (despite some UI flaws even now and then) with Chrome's uMatrix extension which actually should fill this gap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version