ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

When Social Media Users Hulk Up!

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
EDIT: Sorry for the sarcasm. To clarify, it is just really hard to see the reaction to the tweet as anything more than the a reaction to the act itself.
-daddydave (June 20, 2010, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

my interpretation:
The normal procedure would be to keep the whole process very formal. This distances people from the reality of what's happening. A tweet OTOH makes it something much more real - you start thinking about the reality of what is happening.
From a 'supporting the death penalty' point of view, the guy was foolish to make that tweet.
From an 'against the death penalty' point of view, as said above, he really brought it all home. I think that's why the reaction is so strong.

daddydave:
The normal procedure would be to keep the whole process very formal. This distances people from the reality of what's happening
-tomos (June 20, 2010, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess that's the part I was ignorant of. I figured the tweet is the same kind of information that would be in the newspaper the next day, it's just we're getting it firsthand. It's not really news I follow that closely though, so I guess I ass-umed.

tomos:
of course I forgot about the biggest group - those who might be ambiguous about it: be they supporters - maybe people who think they have no choice (supporting out of fear of what society could be like without it), or religious people who have the 'thou shalt not kill' commandment in mind; or be they people who simply haven't thought about it much.
They all would be upset I imagine about the casualness & presumptuousness of the tweet (presumptuous of approval & agreement) and for the reasons I mentioned above: basically, that it has confronted them with the reality of it all

Renegade:
basically, that it has confronted them with the reality of it all
--- End quote ---

You got me thinking a bit, and it occurred to me that people might be upset in part because the guilt is theirs as well, as they are the ones that voted to get that guy in power, and the ones ultimately responsible for the legislation in their state where the death penalty is. i.e. The blood is on THEIR hands as well. It might not be at the forefront of anyone's mind, but at some level, people in democracies know that they are (ir)responsible for the legislation. A kind of background, nagging feeling of guilt... Then again that could all just be total drivel. Just a thought anyways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version