ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

If you think OpenOffice is a competitor to MS Office 2010, think again

<< < (8/8)

urlwolf:
back to the original topic ... :) :Thmbsup:
-urlwolf (June 21, 2010, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

which is what? getting together to slag OO. or sing the praises of MS office?  ;-)

i thought the OT comments about possible directions Microsoft could take office were much more relevant. 

:)
-Gwen7 (June 21, 2010, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I'd actually love to see OO take over the world. I'm a linux user. In fact, there are some nice directions, such as OO plugins. An open ecosystem could do wonders for an office application.

But I still find that I cannot recommend OO to anyone. I have hope on koffice though.

Darwin:
The OO team needs to de-couple all of the component applications in my oh so humble opinion. Just as with the switch from v.1 to v.2 (if memory serves) the development team dropped the navigator sort of thingy that opened and from which you then clicked on an application's icon to open it, so too do they now need to allow any componenet to load on demand without the necessity of the entire suite loading in the background. This is what slows it down. Of course, it's convenient to be able to open any OO supported file from any application, but it has this cost. Note, too, that I'm just an ideas guy - I can't code my way out of a paper bag and the de-coupling of which I speak my be a tall, tall order?

Curt:
Your idea is good, Darwin. At least you 'have a way with words' :-)

Such "de-coupling" must be implemented the right way. As an example of the wrong way, PhotoScape will launch the entire program and THEN offer you to open one of all the minor parts of it. This is a slow 'have not way'...

However, many of my friends are still using OO, and when I point out the weaknesses, they shake their shoulders and talk about MS Office and OO being the only accepted alternatives in the world; they may know about some other alternatives, but their bosses won't let them install any other office program than OO or Microsoft.

40hz:
Oh, I'd actually love to see OO take over the world.
-urlwolf (June 22, 2010, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not me.  :) If there's no competition things won't improve. And the price tag will go through the ceiling too. (Look at Photoshop.)

I want to see at least two absolutely killer office suites locked in mortal combat at all times.

:Thmbsup:

steeladept:
Oh, I'd actually love to see OO take over the world.
-urlwolf (June 22, 2010, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not me.  :) If there's no competition things won't improve. And the price tag will go through the ceiling too. (Look at Photoshop.)

I want to see at least two absolutely killer office suites locked in mortal combat at all times.

:Thmbsup:
-40hz (June 22, 2010, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1, well actually +4.  I am not a fan of oligarchies either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version