ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

If you think OpenOffice is a competitor to MS Office 2010, think again

<< < (4/8) > >>

erikts:
That said, if you're an MS Office 2007 user, will you be upgrading to the 2010 (twenty-ten!) version? And if so, which features are compelling enough to do so?
-zridling (June 16, 2010, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am currently using MSO 2007 at the office. The possibility of upgrading is so thin. Most of my co worker use OpenOffice.org.

Paul Keith:
Personally I don't know how anyone can recommend OpenOffice anymore.

When you narrow it down to it's very core, it's slow. Even other open-source applications like Gnumeric and AbiWord can be faster.

Then again, it's hard to recommend 2010 also except for the reason 40hz stated.

The sad part though is that despite what zridling said in the beginning, we're still talking about OpenOffice instead of the likes of Zoho or Google Docs.

In the end, OpenOffice has made it's mark. It's no longer obscure. It will always be that Netscape to MS Office. The question remains when the Fat Office suite will sing it's way to a sexier Fox.

Gwen7:
i currently use office 2010. before that I used 2007. and before that it was 2003.

2010 is very powerful and comprehensive. but it also has 50 times more capabilities than i'll ever want or need. and i'm a fairly sophisticated user.

i feel Word plateaued with office 2000. everything that came after that was bloat. unless it fixed something that didn't work as advertised. mail merge was something that didn't work correctly in 2000.

so...what would i be buying it for if i had to pay out of my own purse?

the answer so far is >> i wouldn't.

zridling:
The sad part though is that despite what zridling said in the beginning, we're still talking about OpenOffice instead of the likes of Zoho or Google Docs.... In the end, OpenOffice has made it's mark. The question remains when the Fat Office suite will sing it's way to a sexier Fox. -Paul Keith (June 17, 2010, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps it depends on the industry on whether the need for heavy desktop suites will thrive, no doubt for spreadsheet use at the least. But since most business "documents" (I use that term very loosely) are simple communications, i.e., simple shared documents, you'll likely see the likes of Google Docs, Zoho, and Office Live rise as mobile/tablet computing becomes more prevalent. Placing these "simple" documents online using HTML bypasses the need for proprietary formats, file conversion, and the cost of a proprietary program to read and access them.

Paul Keith:
Maybe I'm mistaken zridling but isn't Zoho a heavy desktop suite?

As a person who doesn't know spreadsheets, I just got the impression that Google was looking for light sharing and private wiki-doc hybrid while Zoho was gunning for the full Office suite.

I haven't tried Office Live though.

There's still also the question of privacy and downtime though and I think that's the major dilemma. Maybe I'm mistaken and that documents are like Surfulator and doesn't sync well with DropBox but if they did, then the real issue is mass sharing but even Dropbox' public folder isn't supposed to be Delicious for documents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version