ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IP address on public network

<< < (2/5) > >>

edbro:
Good to know. I'm still not sure how they would do that if I'm wireless. If I connected at a Starbucks, dl'ed a file and left, I don't see how they would be able to trace that to my name or home address. Same for a hotel; I could be in a room or just a driveby in the parking lot.

Renegade:
Connecting to a torrent isn't illegal. It depends on what you are downloading.

You can use HTTP proxies (e.g. www.hidemyass.com) to anonymize yourself, but that still doesn't prevent checking on what you are doing locally. You need to use a secure proxy (HTTPS).

For torrents, use the onion router or IP2P or TOR to anonymize yourself. Search on those for more information.

Basically, you need 2 things to remain anonymous and not have people eavesdrop on you: 1) an anonymizer to make you anonymous (big surprise there), 2) a secure connection to encrypt whatever you are doing against prying eyes.

40hz:
Please note that many public access wifi host routers block known torrent and proxy ip addresses and ports for exactly that reason. 

Eóin:
It's true that simply connecting to an unsecured wifi network is unlikely to be traced back to you, in some cases probably impossible, but still you are on someone else's network and at the mercy of their level of sophistication.

Also it's generally it's considered very bad netiquette to use TOR for things like file sharing.

40hz:
Also it's generally it's considered very bad netiquette to use TOR for things like file sharing.
-Eóin (June 15, 2010, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! for pointing that out.

The only way TOR is going to remain viable is if people play by the rules and remember they're not all by themselves when they're using it.

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version