ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for a Decent Contacts Manager

<< < (3/9) > >>

mwfuss:
J-Mac,

I have searched and searched for address book/contact management software that will allow you add details such as spouse, children, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. as you mentioned in your original post. I also wanted one that will provide some flexible printing options as I like to have a printed copy of my address book. One program that I found that seemed to work well, in fact for me, it worked better than anything else that I tried, was the program StatTrak Address Manager. They have a home version and a business version, but no free version. Like I said, this one worked well for me, but it may not be what you are after. It is work a look, however.

J-Mac:
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. They turned up a number of really nice-looking apps that I hadn't found previously.

It looks like it is down to Start Trak Address Manager or Handy Address Book. WinOrganizer looks pretty nice but as it's a full PIM it is a lot more than I need, and priced accordingly. Custom Addres Book looks pretty decent also, though its UI looks like it stepped right out of the first Windows release. Probably would work just fine but the other two I mentioned above have similar features and better UIs.

SB, you say that you are using Handy Address Book? How are the printing options? They don’t mention much on their web site about printing. Start-Trak shows a heck of a lot of printing options and the overall features look to be as good as if not more extensive than Handy. mwfuss, you say you did use it; any reason you are no longer using it?

Thanks!

Jim

mwfuss:
Jim,

I still have the trial version installed on my computer; I just have not gotten around to purchasing it yet. I do plan to do so and I will make use of it as I found it fits my needs quite nicely.

Mark

steeladept:
Kinda irrelevant now from the sounds of it, but I was still talking about Essential PIM.  I never heard of Efficient PIM.  Please keep us informed on what you go through for this (a mini-review maybe?).  I know I am ALWAYS looking for a good PIM, none really have fulfilled my needs to my full satisfaction.  I have always stuck with Outlook just because it was the only one that filled my needs, but it is so big, cumbersome, and most of all overkill that I am always looking for something better.

I want to avoid a threadjack, but for those interested in my wants/needs in this kind of software -

SpoilerMy needs center first and foremost on synchronization with mobile devices.  What I think many miss in posts such as SB's where he points out most people just use whatever is on there phone is:

1) I need my contacts when I am away from home.  At home, I can just look them up in the family phonebook (which, yes, I did port to Outlook for ease of maintenance, safekeeping, etc., etc.).  If it doesn't synch with the most popular phones and devices, it really misses the mark for me.

2) I want something that has a huge list of fields available, but allows me to customize it to just use the fields I want/need.  Moreover, ideally I want these mapped to match those in my mobile device (probably easier and more lucrative to provide a mobile version of the app to sync to).

2a) If a separate app is deemed the correct route to go, make sure it integrates fully and can dial/message/whatever just like the native app can so you can ignore it completely (delete it if possible).

These have always proved to be way to much for any PIM I have found in the past other than Outlook.  Even then, Outlook doesn't satisfy all these requirements (specifically the ability to remove unwanted fields), but at least it doesn't miss any information.

superboyac:
SB, you say that you are using Handy Address Book? How are the printing options? They don’t mention much on their web site about printing. Start-Trak shows a heck of a lot of printing options and the overall features look to be as good as if not more extensive than Handy. mwfuss, you say you did use it; any reason you are no longer using it?
-J-Mac (June 15, 2010, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure.  I've never printed with it before.  I can try later (when i get home) and post back.  The website says this:
Printing
Print your addresses in a list or table format.  Print them in a detailed report format, or in a booklet format.  Create a compact, folded, double sided wallet or purse phone book.  You can also print mailing addresses out on envelopes and labels.  Printing is very customizable, so you can make your printouts appear just as you want.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version