ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SIGIL, free ePub editor

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I wanted to test Sigil, but felt even more unsure than normal, so I searched our forum for Sigil, and found nothing. Then I searched for epub editor and finally for ebook editor, but still found nothing! This is quite a surprise to me; I really expected someone had said something about these subjects. But it seems not. http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

Well, I still know very little about Sigil, but I can tell that it is an ePub ebook editor, for all major operating systems. It is free. They have a fine user's manual. And the editor is merely in version 0.2 ...

SIGIL, free ePub editor
Sigil is a multi-platform WYSIWYG ebook editor. It is designed to edit books in ePub format.

Now what does it have to offer...

* Free and open source software under GPLv3
    * Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Linux and Mac
    * Full Unicode support: everything you see in Sigil is in UTF-16
    * Full EPUB spec support
    * WYSIWYG editing

* Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Split View
    * Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
    * Table Of Contents editor
    * Multi-level TOC support
    * Book View fully supports the display of any XHTML document possible under the OPS spec

* SVG support
    * Basic XPGT support
    * Advanced automatic conversion of all imported documents to Unicode
    * Currently imports TXT, HTML and EPUB files; more will be added with time
    * Embedded HTML Tidy; all imported documents are thoroughly cleaned; changing views cleans the document so no matter how much you screw up your code, it will fix it (usually)

* An actually usable user interface
    * Native C++ application
    * Bugs :)
    * And a lot more...

--- End quote ---
SIGIL, free ePub editor
Don't forget to read the online manual!.
If you wish to discuss Sigil, feel free to do so on the Sigil subforum on MobileRead.
Also check out the wiki pages, especially the installation instructions.

For those who want more up-to-date information on Sigil's development, you can always take a look at the live ChangeLog. That file is linked directly from the repository, and it is updated as bugs are fixed and features are added.

You can also subscribe to RSS and Atom feeds.
If you found a bug or want to request a feature, read the ReportingIssues wiki page.
Also feel free to check out Sigil's development blog.

--- End quote ---
SIGIL, free ePub editor

Gothi[c]:
That looks like a neat app. Nice find. :)
I've been using lyx for that type of stuff, and have since been hooked on the WYSIWYM concept instead over WYSIWYG - but I definitively plan to give this one a try :)

Curt:
-your words made me once more try to test LyX + TeX. I think this was the fifth time! As usual I was given the "TeX was not fully installed, would you like to run the installer again? Hey, the folder is not empty; I cannot do anything!" stupid talk, but this time I persevered. And finally after an hour or so, I could admire this output:

Quite frankly I think LyX + La/MikTeX-whatever is based on a neardish almost stupid installer system. But seeing this output I can for the first time begin to understand why some swear to LyX & TeX. All the other times that I've tried to test the combination, one or the other didn't install properly.

rxantos:
There is a portable version of lyx/tex

http://code.google.com/p/lytex/

This makes installing both easier.

ewemoa:
Thanks for posting about Sigil.  I've been trying it out and though it seems a bit rough around the edges, it seems to be coming along ok. 

(Just wish there were a way to provide feedback to the developer without having to "sign in" to Google -- may be there is a way and I haven't found it...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version