ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buy / build new system (from CCLOnline) - opinion sought

<< < (2/2)

4wd:
I may one day return to the Asus fold, but they'll need to get on the solid-state capacitor bandwagon first.-Innuendo (June 20, 2010, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't bought a AsRock board for two years or so, (haven't needed too :) ), so I don't know what capacitors they now use on them, (they were normal electrolytics).

The thing I liked about AsRock at the time was the "extras" they added to their boards, (eg. eSATA before anyone else IIRC),  plus their use of other than the "big" name chipsets, (last board had ULi - since bought by nvidia - and it worked great, very stable compared to the nvidia chipsets I had).

Innuendo:
(last board had ULi - since bought by nvidia - and it worked great, very stable compared to the nvidia chipsets I had).-4wd (June 20, 2010, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Didn't know Nvidia bought ULi. Wonderful. Now ULi will either entirely disappear or Nvidia will botch them up like they did their own chipsets.

4wd:
Didn't know Nvidia bought ULi. Wonderful. Now ULi will either entirely disappear or Nvidia will botch them up like they did their own chipsets.-Innuendo (June 20, 2010, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

ULi, (or maybe AsRock, not too sure), worked out how to enable SLI on their chipset thus negating the need for nvidia's offering.  The memory performance of the ULi chipset was also slightly better than nvidia's.

ULi came up for sale not long after the AsRock 939SLI32-eSATA2 was released, (ULi M1695/1697 with patch to enable SLI), nvidia jumped in and bought them, then used ULi driver source/patch to 'fix' the SLI enabling feature/bug in their drivers.

The last ULi driver released is available from nvidia, who effectively killed the company 4.5 years ago.

AnandTech article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version