ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

20 years later, the movie "Total Recall" still kicks butt

<< < (10/23) > >>

parkint:
Total Recall is a favorite.  It is one of those that leaves you thinking, "Was it real, or was it not?  Well there's the scene where..., but then the other scene suggests..."

La Jetee is creepy.  I first saw it in a Film Appreciation class (in college) in the 1970's
I recall that there is ONE MOMENT in the entire film with live action.  And it is the most spooky part of the whole film.  Because it is unexpected!

Forbidden Planet is another classic.  Originally intended as a children's fantasy sci-fi film, it grew in cult status very quickly.  And it was the birth of "Robbie The Robot", who later became Will Robinson's memorable sidekick and protector.

40hz:
La Jetee[/u] is creepy.  I first saw it in a Film Appreciation class (in college) in the 1970's
I recall that there is ONE MOMENT in the entire film with live action.  And it is the most spooky part of the whole film.  Because it is unexpected!
-parkint (June 15, 2010, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG yes! Forgot about that part when...no, let's not spoil it.

If you want to have a little fun at your friends' expense, get Jetee on DVD and watch the reaction of the people seeing it for the first time. The expressions on peoples faces when the director drops that bomb on them is amazing.

I'm half tempted to do a movie made up of nothing but footage of the expressions on peoples faces when they're watching Le jetee. That or sandwich stills of those faces with the original and set it up so it's understood they're faces of people from the 'prisoner pool.'

8)

BTW: Does anybody else here, besides me, find that watching people watching a movie is often as interesting - or sometimes even more interesting - than watching the movie itself?

Renegade:
+1 for 40Hz pointing out the "big budget" remake film not quite doing it.

To me, I think the best example of this, though it isn't a remake, is The Blair Witch project. It shows that a good story with a good script far outdoes any special effects. Special effects make the movie if you're a 14-year old boy, or brain dead. Looking back, sometimes those 2 seem synonymous. Nevertheless, really good scripts can even turn a dumb story into a really good film. I think "Waiting for Godot" is an example of that (though it is a play, and not a film).

La Jetee was pretty cool. That sort of plot has been redone many times, and almost never gets tired. I read that "12 Monkeys" took its inspiration from there (gotta love Gilliam).

Deozaan:
You can watch the full film over at Hulu. IT runs 69 minutes.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/65658/it-the-terror-from-beyond-space-40hz (June 15, 2010, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was an extremely long 69 minutes. I found I kept asking myself, "How long is this thing again?" Finally when I was about 50 minutes into it I said "Yes! Only 20 minutes left. I can handle that!" but found myself looking at the clock again wondering how much time had passed just 5 minutes later.

Also, <spoiler>the THING never gets a woman, so that movie poster doesn't reflect what happens in the movie.</spoiler>

40hz:
Also, <spoiler>
-Deozaan (June 15, 2010, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

They rarely ever did reflect what the film was about back then. ;D

Sorry it wasn't your cuppa tea BTW.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version