ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dating Sites for Geeks and Nerds?

<< < (2/2)

Paul Keith:
I don't use dating sites but I apologize for laughing.

The topic reminded me of a gk2gk ad that used to be on the Midwest Teen Sex Show Podcast.

I don't know if it's still there since I saw the ad via their Miro shows but if I recall, it used to have a guy tossing around a stuffed animal while the main blonde girl talks about online dating while holding an open book.

Btw the podcast is not really as NSFW as it sounds. It's more sex education humor, see here for a preview:

http://revver.com/video/517053/mtss-episode-9-syphilis/

ecaradec:
The main issue of dating website is to get enough people so that people keep coming.

One way to bootstrap it would be to go a nightclub or someplace where people want to meet and to propose them to join the site. That would work great with a site where you can contact people you meet IRL. If you had a crush for someone at this place (and were too shy to ask ) you could go to the site and eventually contact him or her.

vitalyb:
OkCupid is the best Geek/Nerd/Weird/Alternative/Intelligent dating site I know. It encourages people to write, about themselves, a lot more than other sites and it has a really good matching service that is based on never-ending series of questions.
I found some great dates there - great, as in people with interesting personalty. If you're looking for a pick-up, this is hardly the site for you.

However, my current (and longest running) girlfriend I've met at work.

Sarkand:
I will second the nomination of OKCupid.  Aside from the reasons mentioned, it's absolutely free (you can upgrade for a few $, but not sure you need to), it was founded by four geeks with Harvard sheepskins (one in business, three in math/computer science), with the ostensible (and somewhat tongue-in-cheek) aim of taking a truly "scientific" approach to solving the ancient mysteries of love and attraction.  They appear to do plenty of statistical analysis to refine their assumptions and matching criteria, and they're not afraid to try new things/make improvements.  Check out their About Us page.  As for pick-ups, "what you're looking for" runs the gamut from "just friends" to "casual sex" to "marriage", and there are plenty of prospects in all categories. Personalities and intelligence also cover the spectrum, as do location, ages, "looks" and "types".  It's a pretty fun site, and at the tender age of 59, I've had good luck with it.  In fact, I'm going on a date tomorrow night with someone I met there (she's buying  :D ).  Mouser gave me a break on membership, due to my chronic poverty, maybe this will pay him back.  Real life contact sure beats the hypothetical, I can vouch for it.  Do not pay anyone  money for dating prospects until you check out this site.  OK Cupid  Silly name, great site.  Happy hunting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version