ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me to understand .mp3 naming issue on a DVD player reading from a USB stick

<< < (5/7) > >>

wr975:
Can anybody tell me why, and if so, how to avoid this?
-cranioscopical (June 10, 2010, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Reason: Your player is not sorting the FAT filename index.

Fix: There're several programs sorting the FAT index. The one I'm using is DriveSort. It writes directly in the file-system, replacing this index, so it's very fast.

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

This program enables you to reorganise the content of the directory tables on a FAT drive, in order to help portable multimedia players to play their music tracks in the right order.
It works directly on the opened disk filesystem, so use it at your own risks. It's a good idea to make a backup of sensitive data before working on a disk.

Although it was made for the I-Bead player, it should work well with other portable multimedia players having a FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32 formatted disk, such as the Lynx, Muro, your mobile phone flash card, ...
--- End quote ---

Works well on my MP3 stick.

Hint: if the program crashes trying to access your USB stick, let Windows search and repair drive errors. It happened to me once, and there were some minor file-system issues (lost clusters).

superboyac:
Man, I really hate how most of those dvd/cd/boombox players implement any kind of mp3 support.  I've gone to great lengths to not rely on any of that standalone stuff.  Everything that deals with media in my house is a computer.  The TV is connected to the computer.  Any music that I listen to will be playing on a computer.  Sure, it means I need to buy wireless air-mice, it takes some setting up.  Is it overkill?  Maybe.

The only place I use media that is not computerized yet is in my car.  In my car I use my mp3 player.  I thought about building a custom pc for the car as well, but that was too hard for me.

Just like I talk about in the apple threads, the furstrating part of those standalone devices is always the interface.  Sure, they add mp3 support on a boombox, but it's a pain to use.  How do you skip tracks easily?  how do you make a playlist?  How do I have to put the files on my cd/dvd/usb stick?  With a computer, it's just drag and drop.  You can play it with whatever software you want.  Any problem can be fixed.  But it is more work initially.

cranioscopical:
it appears that using a counter at the beginning of the name does allow for long files names (longer than 8 characters) to be used.

i suspect that the logic of these devices is that they look for a counter within the first 8 characters of a name - as the counter beyond the 8 character limit doesn't list correctly. it just seems odd that they do this whilst also being able to display long file names.
-nudone (June 14, 2010, 05:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for trying that!  :up:
That's what happened in my case, on previous and subsequent occasions.

Of course, that still leaves me wondering about my original case where:
"22 xxxxx.mp3" to "67 xxxxx.mp3" played in sequence as tracks 1 to 46
followed by
"01 xxxxx.mp3" to "21 xxxxx.mp3" in sequence as tracks 47 to 67

I live most of my life in a state of confusion, so there's really no reason why this should be different.

cranioscopical:
Reason: Your player is not sorting the FAT filename index.

Fix: There're several programs sorting the FAT index. The one I'm using is DriveSort. It writes directly in the file-system, replacing this index, so it's very fast.
-wr975 (June 14, 2010, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the input but can you tell me how not sorting the FAT index results in the odd sequencing referred to in my post immediately before this one?

nudone:
I live most of my life in a state of confusion, so there's really no reason why this should be different.
-cranioscopical (June 14, 2010, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
excellent. heheh. everything is just fine then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version