ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me to understand .mp3 naming issue on a DVD player reading from a USB stick

<< < (4/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
It's possible that the playback order is the order they were copied onto the thumb drive.-skwire
--- End quote ---
I hear you, and thanks, but the original transfer was from an interim folder on my HD. 
All of the files were first copied to there.
Then renamed -- each name beginning with a two-digit number 01...67.
Then copied to the stick with TeraCopy, in the correct order.
I am going to be using your software though, and thanks!

i doubt it helps but, on the video player i was having trouble with, it appears to have been the 8.3 file name issue-Nudone
--- End quote ---
Yes, good thought.
The 'user manual' for the player stipulated 8.3 names, hence my renaming as "01 xxxxx.mp3" through "67 xxxxx.mp3".
That didn't help though.

FWIW, I just:

* dumped a bunch of random .mp3's into a folder on my HD
* renamed them only by adding a two-digit prefix to each
  (i.e. some had very long names and others shorter but none as short as 8.3)
* totally ignored what was in the ID tags — all kinds of stuff, some out-of-sequence track numbers, some nulls, no attempt at logic
* copied the lot onto a USB stickThat played perfectly, and in the expected order, long file names notwithstanding.  :tellme: :huh: :o

I'm beginning to think that the hiccup reported earlier was just a random event. A stray bit of data that befuddled player logic somehow.

nudone:
interesting. i'll have to give it one more try with this player. my working files names have their (2 digit) counter at the end of the 8 character file name. having the counter beyond the 8 characters (in a longer filename) caused the random listing.

perhaps putting the counter at the beginning of a long name will also work the same way you have discovered...

cranioscopical:
Please let me know what happens if you do give that a try.

nudone:
Please let me know what happens if you do give that a try.
-cranioscopical (June 11, 2010, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
of course.

unfortunately, i can't do it until monday.

nudone:
it appears that using a counter at the beginning of the name does allow for long files names (longer than 8 characters) to be used.

e.g.

01 xxxx xxxx.avi
02 xxxx xxxx.avi
03 xxxx xxxx.avi
13 xxxx xxxx.avi

all fine and in the correct order.

i suspect that the logic of these devices is that they look for a counter within the first 8 characters of a name - as the counter beyond the 8 character limit doesn't list correctly. it just seems odd that they do this whilst also being able to display long file names.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version