ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me to understand .mp3 naming issue on a DVD player reading from a USB stick

<< < (3/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
hmm, sorry, can't offer a solution - but i'm experiencing an almost identical problem with a "video" player.

this also reads from usb devices and appears to have it's own method of organising the files. i wondered if it was by date or file size. (i may have concluded it was file size, can't remember now.)
-nudone (June 11, 2010, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

It can't be file size in my case as mine played everything in name sequence (with wildly differing file sizes) with the hiccup that the 'track' sequence was 46 places different from the file name sequence.

I tried both with .mp3 tags nulled and with .mp3 tags set to the same sequence as the file names. Same issue.

cranioscopical:

Here's where I'm at.

I set the .mp3 track values to match the file-name values but I did this on the stick itself.
That didn't change anything.

I pulled all of the files off the stick and into a folder on my hard drive.
Deleted the stick.
Wrote all of the files back to the stick.

That worked:
name "01 xxxxx.mp3" is track 1
name "67 xxxxx.mp3" is track 67.

To me, that argues for file date as I touched every file to change its track number.

Previously, when I've done this, I:
* ignored .mp3 tag track numbers
* ignored file dates
* built what I wanted in a folder on my HD
* renamed the files, using names preceded by numbers in ascending numerical order
* wrote the lot onto the stick. That gave a perfect match between file names and tracks on the stick.
As far as I can see, that's exactly what I did this time (on the first try). The only real difference being that this time there were more files (originally, I'd used about 20 files as a test, not 67.)

Thanks for everyone's input.
I'll play around some more.

skwire:
It's possible that the playback order is the order they were copied onto the thumb drive.  You could easily test this with File Bucket.  Simply add that folder and then use the up/down buttons in File Bucket to change the order, copy to drive and test.

Eóin:
I suspect skwire is correct, I've seen this type of thing happen where removing the files and recopying them in the desired order was the only solution. Very frustrating.

nudone:
i doubt it helps but, on the video player i was having trouble with, it appears to have been the 8.3 file name issue, i.e. as soon as i changed the file name to 8 characters the list was correct.

i couldn't see a pattern to the incorrect listing (with long filenames). it wasn't by file size/created/modified/etc. just seemed random.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version