ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me to understand .mp3 naming issue on a DVD player reading from a USB stick

(1/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
Here's my issue.

The background:
I want to play a reasonably large number of .mp3 files in one location.
The audio system in this location had no .mp3 capability.
The way I chose to remedy this was to buy an inexpensive Samsung DVD player and add this to the sound system. I chose this player largely because:
[*] it has a remote control
[*] it can read from a USB stick.
[/list]
To try this out I dumped a few .mp3's onto a stick and all was well. Things played from the USB stick, and in the sequence that I expected.

Next I put 67 .mp3's onto a blank stick, using 8.3 file names in the format of:
01 xxxxx.mp3
02 xxxxx.mp3
67 xxxxx.mp3
where xxxxx represents 5 letters which could be anything.

I chose to lead the names with numbers as I wanted the items to play in the specific order of 01 to 67.
(There's nothing magic about the 67, that just happened to be the number of files on hand.)

On my computer, the directory of the disk reads exactly as I'd expect, viz. it starts with "01 xxxxx.mp3" and runs to "67 xxxxx.mp3". The items play in that order.

I put this stick into the DVD player and get items 1 to 67 on the DVD display panel (since it is connected only to an audio system, there is no display of titles, just item numbers).

The problem
When I play this stick:
item "1" on the DVD is actually file "47 xxxxx.mp3"
item "2" on the DVD is actually file "48 xxxxx.mp3"
item "21" on the DVD is actually file "67 xxxxx.mp3"
item "22" on the DVD is actually file "01 xxxxx.mp3"
item "67" on the DVD is actually file "46 xxxxx.mp3"

In other words, the file names are shifted 46 places from what I'd expect.

Can anybody tell me why, and if so, how to avoid this?

MilesAhead:
It sounds like it might be playing them in the order the files exist on the stick, rather than the filename order. I would try erasing the stick and copying a few files in the same sequence as want them played.  See what happens.  Likely the USB support is primative.  Also if you have a light small TV you might hook up to get the "menu output" and see if there's a variance.

I suspect it will play the audio files in whatever sequence they exist in the file system igoring the names altogether.

Curt:
are you sure the MP3 files (number-wise) are untagged?

cranioscopical:
I suspect it will play the audio files in whatever sequence they exist in the file system igoring the names altogether.
-MilesAhead
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the thought.
I'm going to have experiment a little as you suggest.
I'd better look at the file dates, too.

cranioscopical:
are you sure the MP3 files (number-wise) are untagged?
-Curt (June 10, 2010, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I thought I was, Curt. Something else to check  :up:

EDIT: It wasn't the tags, Curt. I went back and double checked on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version