ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe

<< < (2/6) > >>

bgd77:
IMHO the video probe does not probe anything. Can we say from it that somebody has committed a crime? I don't think so, but maybe someone considers differently and I would like to hear some arguments from them. So, then what was the purpose of leaking the video?

Whistle-blowers should be protected if by releasing classified documents they prove that somebody has done something wrong (from the law point of view). I know this is the law in some countries.

40hz:
^ It is the law in the USA.

However, there's a big difference between what the law says and what the law allows. Most whistle-blowers lose their jobs. Getting blackballed in industry or government is also very common.

If you take a look at cases involving the federal government or major corporations, in almost every instance the whistle-blower suffered retaliation in direct defiance of laws prohibiting such actions. And in almost every instance, that retaliation went unpunished.

Despite what general public may say, it would appear the old adage remains true: Nobody likes a snitch. :nono2:

bgd77:
Unfortunately you are right, 40hz. And it happens all over, EU included (see wikipedia list on whistleblowers). They are the heroes of our days and they deserve our respect and gratitude.

40hz:
Unfortunately you are right, 40hz.
-bgd77 (June 09, 2010, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hate it when that happens.

wraith808:
Whistle-blowers should be protected if by releasing classified documents they prove that somebody has done something wrong (from the law point of view). I know this is the law in some countries.
-bgd77 (June 09, 2010, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so.  This puts too much of a nebulous status on the word classified.  There should be some process (which I think there is) for shedding light on classified documents.  Someone with the classification to see them that these things can be reported to.  And I think that does exist (especially in this age of senate oversight).

How do you allow someone in an analyst position to make the call that something is wrong enough to make classified documents public?  And what about the collateral damage if what they release isn't sanitized enough to protect the identities of those peripherally involved?

When something is marked classified, it should be black and white IMO... especially considering operational security for those who put their lives on the line based on the fact that this is so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version