ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend disk imaging software?

<< < (7/10) > >>

CleverCat:
That looks good 4wd - better than built in System Restore on XP I presume?

4wd:
That looks good 4wd - better than built in System Restore on XP I presume?
-CleverCat (June 28, 2010, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, considering XP's System Restore never worked reliably any time I used it, (so much so that I removed it from all subsequent XP nlite installs), then I'd have to say yes.

I only tried CTM once months ago when it was still v1, (not long after it was unveiled), it worked the one time then I uninstalled it because it wasn't really suited to my methods - I prefer doing offline disc/partition imaging.

Which reminds me I should do a backup :)

brahman:
Comodo TM became infamous because of innumerous bugs. Don't know if this changed with the new version. Any reports from you guys?

All disk imaging programs do some kind of tricky things to keep the disk & file system in a consistent state while backing up - so you can imagine that there is some contention among them.

I put all Acronis services on manual and use the following batch file to start Acronis (I do not use the scheduler ever) - the processes get killed automatically when I close Acronis using this process killer utility:

--- ---::Batch file to start Acronis while services set to manual are not run at startup to save RAM
start "schedhelp.exe" "%CommonProgramFiles%\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
start "TimounterMonitor" "%ProgramFiles%\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe"
"%ProgramFiles%\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImage.exe"
process -k schedhlp.exe
process -k schedul2.exe
process -k TimounterMonitor.exe
process -k TrueImageTryStartService.exe
exit

NigelH:
Which is why I will always prefer a boot CD as opposed to other backup/restoration mechanisms

All disk imaging programs do some kind of tricky things to keep the disk & file system in a consistent state while backing up - so you can imagine that there is some contention among them.
-brahman
--- End quote ---

For me the K.O. criteria of O&O DiskImage 4 and 5 was that it cannot restore the system partition without a separate boot CD.
-brahman
--- End quote ---

CleverCat:
Quote from 4wd
I prefer doing offline disc/partition imaging.
--- End quote ---

What does that mean 'offline'?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version