ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend disk imaging software?

<< < (6/10) > >>

NigelH:
Interesting that there are few recommendations for O&O DiskImage
I've had great success with it.
O&O DiskImage 5 Pro

For $29-95, you can cross-upgrade to O&O DiskImage 5 Professional Edition from the following products: Acronis True Image Home or Workstation, Norton Ghost, PowerQuest, DriveImage or DeployCenter, Paragon Drive Backup Professional Edition or Drive Copy Professional Edition, Avanquest Perfect Image (Workstation)
--- End quote ---

The free version may even serve someone's requirements
O&O DiskImage Express

brahman:
For me the K.O. criteria of O&O DiskImage 4 and 5 was that it cannot restore the system partition without a separate boot CD.

ShadowProtect I heard good things about and for $90.- you should get a great product.

Innuendo:
ShadowProtect I heard good things about and for $90.- you should get a great product.-brahman (June 27, 2010, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's a discount code here on DC somewhere for ShadowProtect. No clue, though, if it is still valid.

Curt:
Well there is also ShadowProtect Desktop Edition, there is also a video tutorial to have an insigt, it looks promising
http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

didnt tried it myself since I use Acronis True Image
-ha14 (June 24, 2010, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Q:    Why does my system crash with a blue-screen when I run a backup?

A:    The most common reason for blue screens during ShadowProtect backups is the presence of Acronis TrueImage.  Certain versions of their snapshot driver cause the crashes when our backups are run.  The only work-around is to uninstall TrueImage.

If, after uninstalling TrueImage, the blue screens still occur, the snapshot driver may have been left behind and will need to be removed manually. Instructions for doing this may be found >here<.
-StorageCraft Support FAQ
--- End quote ---

I purchased & installed Acronis TrueImage Home, so I tried to uninstall the Acronis Disk Director DEMO that I had been trialling. To my sad surprise it wouldn't uninstall properly but gave me a infinite series of blue screens, until I clicked 'restore'. Now I am stucked with a demo version! However, the above answer from StorageCraft Support makes me wonder if I should first remove Acronis TrueImage? It seems to be known for somehow causing troubles in certain situations!
 :tellme:

Another 'item' is the StorageCraft license. It is per machine. One license, one machine. Meaning that if my (Vista) computer breaks down for good (which really is bad, so why do you call it for good?) I will not be able to move the backup to a new machine because the procedure is that the user first must click "deactivate" inside the program on the machine he is leaving, before he is allowed to activate it on another machine. I don't like such procedures for license activation; they risk activating Murphy's Law and leave the licensed unlicensed!
 :o

4wd:
If you're thinking of using ShadowProtect then maybe it's time to take a look at Comodo Time Machine, which is in a similar vein, and see if it's progressed to the point where it's a contender.

Bear in mind that while it's at v2.6 it is still undergoing a fair amount of development but at least the price is right :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version