ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: NetLaunch

<< < (2/8) > >>

ewemoa:
I don't have an answer for you but in the process of looking into it, I came across:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3062594/differentiate-vmware-network-adapter-from-physical-network-adapters

May be that will be of some help as part of this venture...

Perry Mowbray:
Should you use both? Like use Method 1 and if necessary use Method 2 (say on Method 1 failures)?? Or have I got that wrong?

steeladept:
I was going to suggest method 1 default but use filters to identify only the currently used adapter.  I know I have 2 physical adapters and several virtual adapters on my laptop.  If I were to use version 1, which adapter would it bind to?  This is a very common setup so you would need to identify which one you bind to.  This would negate the first con in method 1 and, for the second identified con, well, a down the line failure is going to be an issue regardless.  They are very rare and shouldn't affect the NetLauncher app any more than a down the line failure would affect any other app.  In fact, it would be a simple troubleshooting tool (not unlike a trace tool) to help you isolate the failure to being down-line and not local.

kamahl:
I was going to suggest method 1 default but use filters to identify only the currently used adapter.  I know I have 2 physical adapters and several virtual adapters on my laptop.  If I were to use version 1, which adapter would it bind to?-steeladept (July 08, 2010, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my own situation, I use wifi on campus and wired at home (my house isn't wifi friendly).  As such, I've chosen to check all adaptors except the blacklisted ones.

Should you use both? Like use Method 1 and if necessary use Method 2 (say on Method 1 failures)?? Or have I got that wrong?
-Perry Mowbray (July 08, 2010, 04:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
It is very hard to identify what a failure is, as both possible values are valid.

May be that will be of some help as part of this venture...
-ewemoa (July 05, 2010, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, that is definitely useful.

kamahl:
So, I switched to C#, rewrote the majority of the code, and published it. (Staying up for two days straight playing video games, then eating lots of sugar and staying up for a third night is apparently great for productivity :huh:)  I don't remember much of the recode, but it's done now.  And neater :-\

I have published version 0.0.0 It's the C# version, and is relatively untested.  Please give feedback - VPN and VM connections will probably still cause trouble, although I have blocked a total of 13 MAC prefixes, and the bluetooth adapter.  (if anyone actually uses bluetooth PAN for internet access, I'll add an option for it).

Oh, and method 2 is completely untouched at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version