ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why do we always wait for apple's stuff before making a i[blank]-killer??

<< < (10/12) > >>

superboyac:
Most people are going to judge the product int he first 30 seconds of holding it.
--- End quote ---

This is what I mean about Ubuntu and Suse. If you had a blind taste test, you'd find that Ubuntu is nicer than OS X.

The thing is they aren't judging the PRODUCT. They are judging the product image, and how they fit in with it. Linux has a crap image. It's for "geeks and weirdos". OS X is for "cool, savvy, rich and fashionable people that are tuned in and in-the-know". There's a distinct break between the reality there. Ubuntu is simply easier to use and friendlier. They've done a spectacular job. (Linux today is nothing like it was 10 years ago -- it really is excellent now.)
-Renegade (June 19, 2010, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yes and no.  Let me explain.  Most people don't even know about opensuse or the other distros.  They don't know about Ubuntu.  if you say "Linux" they are probably thinking a screen with a command prompt and weird commands that only their IT geeks know.  Now, even though they are incorrect, this is the common perception.

So that's good that the Linux distros are paying attention to UI.  Now their challenge to is to get people to notice.  I suggest other companies who people are already noticing (Sony, etc.) do what Linux is doing and give users a nice interface.  All these companies have different problems.  Sony is popular, but it's a crappy user experience.  Linux is a nice experience, but nobody knows about it.  Two different challenges.  Apple:  everyone knows about it, and it's a nice experience (for most).

Renegade:
That's what I mean. Linux just has a miserable image that they can't seem to fix. Zane pointed it out that they need a massive marketing campaign to actually get people to see it for what it is and change that image.

app103:
That's what I mean. Linux just has a miserable image that they can't seem to fix. Zane pointed it out that they need a massive marketing campaign to actually get people to see it for what it is and change that image.
-Renegade (June 19, 2010, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

All the money in the world isn't going to help change that image when someone installs Linux and tries to get their wireless to work and there is no phone number for them to call and cry about it, with someone on the other end whose job it is to listen to them cry and then easily make it all better for them, even dispatching someone to go to their home and do it for them, if necessary...or a shop full of friendly understanding faces they can bring the computer to and they will fix it for them and make that wireless work.

And it isn't going to help when computer manufacturers void the warranty if you tell them you wiped out the OS it came with and installed Linux and can't get it to work right. They don't want to hear from you unless it is the OS they shipped it with that you are having an issue with.

That's right...it's support I am talking about.

Linux comes with "google it and hope you find an answer you can understand". That's what makes it not ready for the masses. That's the real image problem it has.

Renegade:

Linux comes with "google it and hope you find an answer you can understand". That's what makes it not ready for the masses. That's the real image problem it has.
-app103 (June 19, 2010, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true. That's a massive part of the problem.

On the flip side though, some companies like Novell have support available. That's for their enterprise version though. For normal users, unfortunately... support is, well... would "poor" be an overstatement?

superboyac:

-app103 (June 19, 2010, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true. That's a massive part of the problem.

On the flip side though, some companies like Novell have support available. That's for their enterprise version though. For normal users, unfortunately... support is, well... would "poor" be an overstatement?
-Renegade (June 19, 2010, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah!  Didn't even think about that.  See!  I'm so used to finding this stuff out through forums, google, etc. that i take it for granted that most people don't even know to do that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version