ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

install win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

<< < (2/9) > >>

f0dder:
Hm, 64bit Vista allowed unsigned kernel mode drivers? Not unless running in driver signing test mode :)

nudone:
okay, thanks everyone. i think i'm sticking with 32 bit. i'll upgrade the hardware eventually so i'll stick on a 64 version of win7 (or eight) at that time.

OR, i may just put a 64 version on now and treat it as a bit of a trial run - just an experiment. i'll be dual booting back into vista so it's not like i need everything to work perfectly on day one.

f0dder:
OR, i may just put a 64 version on now and treat it as a bit of a trial run - just an experiment. i'll be dual booting back into vista so it's not like i need everything to work perfectly on day one.-nudone (June 02, 2010, 04:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good idea giving it a test run to see what your app suite behaves like. Can't recommend dual-booting though, you'll probably end up spending most of the time in the old and well-configured OS.

daddydave:
Hm, 64bit Vista allowed unsigned kernel mode drivers? Not unless running in driver signing test mode :)
-f0dder (June 02, 2010, 04:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

All I know is that I saw some Vista 64-bit wireless drivers for my old wireless card and that they didn't work in Windows 7 for the above reason.

EDIT: Could the signing be specific to the OS, so that to Vista they were signed, and to Windows 7 they weren't?

nudone:
i chickened out. put the 32 bit version on. had one blue screen and issues locking up when running the system performance thing. so, i imagine it would have been even more temperamental if i'd gone for the 64 bit version.

not sure what i'll be doing yet. might just stick with good old green slimey vista.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version