ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for Business Process Modeling?

<< < (2/10) > >>

superboyac:
Incidentally, this may also be one of those cases where I need to learn Visio and realize it's not as bad as I initially thought, based on nothing other than the thought that "Anything is better than Microsoft".  With what I went through with Word recently, I'm a lot more open minded!  Plus, I have Visio right in front of me, and it can do swim lanes (cross functional flowcharts).

40hz:
I use Visio. In the world of network integration, Visio is what gets used for diagramming. You only brand youself as an amateur if you don't use it. It's not difficult to learn provided you tackle it systematically and don't just jump in and start bashing on it.

The biggest "problem" is that Vidio is designed to do a lot more than just create ad hoc diagrams. For most people, all the extra capabilities do little other than confuse.

Visio is a pretty cool program. Learning what you need about it is time well spent IMHO.  :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
40hz:  i have some questions.  I'm having a difficult time finding the answers, please help me.

1) How do I use the document symbol?  Let's say I have swim lanes, and someone is going to transfer a document to another person.  Do I use the document symbol, or just an normal activity symbol?  If I use the document symbol, which lane contains the symbol?  The sender or the receiver, or both?  I don't quite understand how to depict transferring a document.

2) Let's say multiple people are going to review a document.  How do I show that?  Do I put an activity in each lane connected with a dotted line or something?

3) Do you know of any good Visio tutorials?  I googled a bunch, and they all are bad.  All.

40hz:
^ I've only used Visio for network design/mapping and website planning so I don't think I'm going to be of much help for what you're doing.

The book I used to learn it was Micosoft Office Visio Inside/Out from Microsoft Press. Fortunately I did that during some downtime so I wasn't under pressure to learn it by using it for a live project.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out for you. 
 :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
^ I've only used Visio for network design/mapping and website planning so I don't think I'm going to be of much help for what you're doing.

The book I used to learn it was Micosoft Office Visio Inside/Out from Microsoft Press. Fortunately I did that during some downtime so I wasn't under pressure to learn it by using it for a live project.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out for you. 
 :Thmbsup:

-40hz (June 02, 2010, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, thanks.  Actually, you only need to get back to me about the how to use Visio question.  I've settled on using something called BPMN (Business Process Modeling Notation) for the flowchart questions.  Very interesting stuff, almost makes me want to go back to school.

I'll check out that book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version