ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for Business Process Modeling?

<< < (9/10) > >>

steveorg:
Use page connector shapes. The text will be the page number and any other designation required if there is more than one page connector. For example Page 1 may have Page Connectors a, b and c. Page 2 may have connectors a and b. Let's say the flow is going from Page 1c to Page 2b. The text in the Page 1C connector shape would be "To Page 2b" and the text in the Page 2b connector shape would be "From Page 1C". FYI - Visio helps automate page connectors.

Now that I reread it, I see that you don't want to jump pages. That kind of restriction can drive you crazy, and using larger paper sizes can prove to be dysfunctional in printed manuals and more difficult to follow on screen.

superboyac:
Use page connector shapes. The text will be the page number and any other designation required if there is more than one page connector. For example Page 1 may have Page Connectors a, b and c. Page 2 may have connectors a and b. Let's say the flow is going from Page 1c to Page 2b. The text in the Page 1C connector shape would be "To Page 2b" and the text in the Page 2b connector shape would be "From Page 1C". FYI - Visio helps automate page connectors.

Now that I reread it, I see that you don't want to jump pages. That kind of restriction can drive you crazy, and using larger paper sizes can prove to be dysfunctional in printed manuals and more difficult to follow on screen.
-steveorg (July 06, 2010, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I know.  I had it initially on a 11x17 landscape.  I just redid the flowchart manually to fit on a portrait 8.5x11.  It's good for now.  From now on, I'm keeping in mind this will be printed in a manual.  So I'm going to leave the page setup as is, and i really need to jump pages, I will.

steeladept:
Don't forget, 11x17 landscape is 8.5x11 times 2.  In other words, what I often see (particularly with engineering drawings incorporated into books for example) is what is called an engineering fold.  You basically have an 11x17 page, you fold it in half, and then fold one side in half again to make a z-fold with a long tail where the bind will actually take place.  This allows you to print on 11x17 without reflowing the images to fit in a manual.

superboyac:
Don't forget, 11x17 landscape is 8.5x11 times 2.  In other words, what I often see (particularly with engineering drawings incorporated into books for example) is what is called an engineering fold.  You basically have an 11x17 page, you fold it in half, and then fold one side in half again to make a z-fold with a long tail where the bind will actually take place.  This allows you to print on 11x17 without reflowing the images to fit in a manual.
-steeladept (July 07, 2010, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I know, i do that all the time (I am an engineer!).  But I'd still prefer to keep it on letter size if possible.  During this process, there are a lot of meetings going on and stuff, and I always have to print this and that out.  So it's just easier to keep everything the same.
But I use the engineering fold all the time.  I always have to stick stuff in my binders, and all those 11x17's get folder in.  i remember learning that fold early on, I thought it was cool.  That's how geeky I am!

here's another little known engineering tidbit:  when you have those big plans, you are always supposed to roll it so that the sheet title is visible once the rolling is done.  That usually means you roll plans from left to right, top side on the outside (because the sheet title is normally in the lower right hand side).

bmm:
A very nice freeware BPMN Modeler software is BizAgi Process Modeler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version