ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What to use to secure delete a HDD?

<< < (5/6) > >>

JoTo:
@40Hz:
As i said, i dont have to hide military secrets, just want to prohibit a simple undelete. So i follow your advise and use the single DBAN pass.

Thank you too.

Greetings JoTo

Curt:
all you need is a regular Windows format - be sure to do a full format (ie, not ticking the "quick format" checkbox).-f0dder (June 01, 2010, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Note: The Danish company PAD-DATASERVICE claims in their case summaries that they successfully have recovered ALL files from a re-formatted hard-drive. They don't say if it was a 'quick-format' - one will just have to assume and HOPE!

f0dder:
all you need is a regular Windows format - be sure to do a full format (ie, not ticking the "quick format" checkbox).-f0dder (June 01, 2010, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Note: The Danish company PAD-DATASERVICE claims in their case summaries that they successfully have recovered ALL files from a re-formatted hard-drive. They don't say if it was a 'quick-format' - one will just have to assume and HOPE!
-Curt (June 06, 2010, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
With a recovery price of DKK 500, it's most definitely a quick-format, which is trivial to reconstruct.

EDIT:...and it turns out that a Windows non-quick (aka "full") format is actually just a quick format... followed by a non-write bad sector scan - so your data is not wiped with a non-quick format, meh.

40hz:
With a recovery price of DKK 500
-f0dder (June 07, 2010, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity, is DKK 500 very much money - or are we talking something like dinner out in Aarhus?

lanux128:
Just out of curiosity, is DKK 500 very much money - or are we talking something like a nice lunch in Aarhus?
-40hz (June 07, 2010, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

about US$80, according to google. btw, aren't they supposed to be using the Euro?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version