ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What to use to secure delete a HDD?

<< < (4/6) > >>

f0dder:
No, nothing wrong with using DBAN, except you'll be wasting time if you do a paranoid multi-pass shredding :). And yes, if it's the only harddrive in the system, you'll need to boot either DBAN, the windows installer disc, a linux installer, or whatever.

EDIT: I still believe multi-pass shredding is a waste of time, but a non-quick format is not enough.

JoTo:
@fodder
Thanks for clarifying!

Greetings
JoTo

MerleOne:
I strongly recomment "CopyWipe" from TerabyteUnlimited : download the free software, burn a bootable media (floppy, CD), reboot and follow the instructions.  You may select the least secure module, it will be good enough.

JoTo:
Thanks merle, i'll look at that one too!

Greetings
JoTo

40hz:
Just use DBan's "quick" single-pass options for a good compromise between paranoia and time needed to wipe. If you need to be sure beyond that you'd probably be better off getting a sledgehammer, a book of matches, and a can of petrol.  

A full disk zero overwrite is also sufficient according to most security and data recovery experts. Most drive utilities have a version of that if you don't want to run dban.

FWIW I use dban on my own and my client's machines.    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version