ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Addressbook Software Mini-Shootout

<< < (3/4) > >>

superboyac:
Memory Mate has simple but useful Boolean searching.
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I remember this program a little, it was very cool.  There were some very interesting ideas back in the day that have really stood the test of time.

Which begs the question, have you considered pushing the financial boat out and trying Info Select for Windows?  It's $249.95 and isn't shareware, though there's a 30-day money-back guarantee.  Link here: http://www.miclog.com/
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah!  I tried InfoSelect a couple of times over the past two years.  It was pretty good, but if you read the beginning of my review for this addressbook software, I mentioned that I am now at a point that I want the addressbook to just be an addressbook and nothing else.  InfoSelect does everything under the sun.  It was too much for me to use it as an addressbook, and I felt like the other features were done better individually on other programs.  I am always highly skeptical of all-in-one solutions to anything.  It's just a personal philosophy.  I don't like all-in-one printer/scanner/copiers, I don't like all-in-one software solutions.  I'm more of a pic one and do it right kind of guy.  That's not to say I don't think any of them are good, I'm just skeptical.  It's hard enough to be the best in one area let alone many areas simultaneously.

Just had a quick look at the Web site, and was put off by the size.  The free version is an 8.4Mb download, the payware one 18Mb.  It's not just the download time and hard-disk footprint, I tend to expect that programs that size are going to be slow to load, which puts me off using them.

I mentioned to kfitting on another thread that there are lots of Keynote-type outliners now - and that's getting a problem in itself, because they aren't mutually compatible and you don't want to commit to the "wrong" one.
--- End quote ---
You know, I agree with you about the size thing, but the program runs pretty light.  The reason why it's big is because it has this sketchpad in it where you can draw and paint.  And the pay version is much larger because it has an OCR engine to translate the handwritten notes in the sketchpad.  But Evernote, is not really Keynote-type.  Evernote is good for entering a bunch of random notes in, and finding them very quickly.  It has some unique auto-filtering features also.  Keynote is totally different.  You can't find things as fast in Keynote, but you have the power to organize notes very well in Keynote.  I love Keynote, what a fantastic program.  If Keynote would just resume being actively developed, I think it would leave a lot of other programs in the dust.  I'm kind of leaning towards Mybase as a note collection utility, because it has some features I'm looking for, but Keynote overall was still a little better in many ways.  Between you and me, I think there's a whole bunch of people who would get quite excited if Keynote started becoming actively developed again.  When is this mystery open-source version going to be ready?

And Total Commander  cheesy  depending on how you set it up, and that's how I've set it up now as being most intuitive.
--- End quote ---
TC has filter-as-you-type?  I didn't know that!  I love TC and used it for a couple of years.  Then I discovered Directory Opus, which does so much more, and I eventually stopped using TC.  Although, there are still a couple of things I wish Dopus did like TC, but I harp about that on their forum.

superboyac:
Wow, I jsut went to Keynote's site and read the post from OCtober that the author put up.  I think it deserves a link:
http://www.tranglos.com/free/closedown.html

It's very sad.  With the shutdown of Keynote, I think the software world has lost a great talent, an innovator and pioneer, and, in many ways, a kind of genius.  Although it sounds like he will use his talents in other places, it really sucks that Keynote won't be developed anymore.

By the way, can anyone here read Polish?  There's a link in his message where he explains why he can't go on with KeyNote, but it's written in Polish.  Can someone give a brief summary?  It sounds very interesting and heartfelt.

mouser:
superboyac, we discussed it here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1312.0
it touched a real nerve with many of us programmers, very heartfelt..

superboyac:
Thanks mouser, I don't want this thread to go off-topic but that news was sad to me.  I know only us computer geeks will understand this, but a guy like that hanging his hat up evokes similar feelings to a famous athlete retiring.

rjbull:

trying Info Select for Windows?
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah!  I tried InfoSelect a couple of times over the past two years.  It was pretty good, but if you read the beginning of my review for this addressbook software, I mentioned that I am now at a point that I want the addressbook to just be an addressbook and nothing else.
-superboyac (February 07, 2006, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, forgot that...   :-[

InfoSelect does everything under the sun.  It was too much for me to use it as an addressbook, and I felt like the other features were done better individually on other programs.  I am always highly skeptical of all-in-one solutions to anything.

--- End quote ---

I can't make my mind up.  While I can see that there's a good case for small individual programs working better for their specific objectives, I then have to remember which program I stored which bit of information in.  And there's always an overlap - addresses, fine, but many people will want something more like a contacts system, with more notes, for example.  One of my e-contacts has a constant mantra: "horses for courses..."   8)

I suspect, though, that Info Select as it now is tries to to do far too much.   I'd be more interested in the equivalent of a straight port of the DOS version, at a much lower price.

Evernote
You know, I agree with you about the size thing, but the program runs pretty light.  The reason why it's big is because it has this sketchpad in it where you can draw and paint.  ...  Evernote is good for entering a bunch of random notes in, and finding them very quickly.

--- End quote ---

Speed of finding random notes is good, but I don't need the handwritten notes/sketching abilities.

I love Keynote, what a fantastic program.  If Keynote would just resume being actively developed

--- End quote ---

Sadly, looks like it won't, but check out posts by kfitting on sucessors/similar programs.

TC has filter-as-you-type?  I didn't know that!

--- End quote ---

Options, Operation, "Quick search (current dir)" section, Letters - _w_ith search dialog checkbox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version