ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

Request: Please share your prioritization methods here

<< < (6/9) > >>

erikts:
3. Then, I use a special formula to calculate the urgency of tasks (processed in IQ) depending on their :

* duedates
* Planned Start and End date
* % Done
* time needed to complete them
* numeric priority (1-9)
Of course the formula takes into account whether the task-project is late or not, etc.
-Armando (June 13, 2010, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Would you mind showing me the formula? Can it be implemented in spreadsheet (Excel or Calc)? TIA.

Armando:
Thank you for your interest.
It's a VB function. At the moment it works but  it's a bit sloppy. I'll have to clean it up a bit before I share it with others.
I intend to "design" a projects and tasks management IQ database and so I'll make it public at this point.

Paul Keith:
Same as my last post but in more detailed software form:

http://www.osaka-gu.ac.jp/php/nakagawa/TRIZ/eTRIZ/epapers/eTRTechOpt980607/eTR-1.html

Note: I didn't really test the actual program.

IainB:
@Paul Keith: Sorry for very belated response. I think I had notifications turned off.
Could you provide some examples as to what specific labels and character string you had that gave the feature a much needed place in your priority system?

Descriptions like these often make sense until I try imagining what specific string I would use.

--- End quote ---
Well, the example would be anything you could imagine, I suppose.
For example, suppose that you had (say) 500,000 records (notes) in your database, and wanted to be able to flag any notes that contained any reference to "caffeine".

You set up a sub-category in the hierarchical category tree under "Hot drinks", and set the rule that any future occurrence of "caffeine" in any new note will be auto-assigned to this category.
Then you realise that you might want to do this for all 500,000 records in your database, so as not to miss any references to "caffeine", so you set a rule that this category association is to retrospectively run once.
Then someone asks how many such references have we had in notes created after 2010-05-02, so you set a conditional "date >2010-05-02" category, and retrospectively run it once, and add the rule that this category is to be auto-assigned in any new notes.

You then do the same for "Milo" and "Hot Chocolate".
And you can individually view the filters for "Caffeine", "Milo" and "Hot Chocolate" after 2010-05-02.

Then you might want to see how this is consistent with the parent "Hot drinks", so you view that list of filtered records, and it shows all records created since 2010-05-02 which are assigned to "Caffeine" and "Milo" and "Hot Chocolate".

As well as doing this, you might want to now set an action priority, so you set up a parent group called "Priority", with subgroups A, B, and C. You then go down the list of records assigned to "hot drinks" and flag them as A, or B, or C. Then you notice that one of the C flagged items should actually be a B, so you change it. That record pops OUT of the view of the C items, and INTO the B list.

By the way, I spoke to soon about GTD for Gmail. It's all good. The improvements have not reduced the functionality. All you have to do is set up what you want via the GTD Preferences section.

Paul Keith:
True IainB but it becomes more complicated as you are trying for your personal needs.

Hot drinks may not mean anything to the person but as an example it seems legit.

Yet "Milo" may have relevance and the only way for someone to see...ahh yes, that tag could work for my mindset is to share each other's specific terms of categorizing an item.

See the crucial use of a topic like this is to share what you actually bookmarked for example (or what tags) rather than what one can input into their tags because they know they can do that but many unproductive people don't know which tags can be suggested to them based on having an overview of the person they're talking to.

It's like with Twitter or Facebook. You can scroll down and keep searching and find people but you often can get better information if the person you're following just notifies you who they have just followed.

In priority systems, the only "culture known" template that is familiar to all that is into GOE is the GTD terms or maybe Mark Forster's system. We each don't know each other's specific labels and hierarchy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version