ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Ditches Windows on Security Concerns

<< < (2/6) > >>

lanux128:
it looks like Google is looking for an excuse to move away from Microsoft products.. :-\

app103:
Either Google is not telling the complete truth and will be running Windows, at least in a VM, or they have plans on releasing future versions of their Chrome browser (and other software) for Windows, without them ever having been tested on Windows.

mouser:
feels like just another excuse to pile on microsoft and try to grab more marketshare for themselves.  more and more it feels like google is playing the role of benevolent mafia boss -- helping out as long as it grabs its cut off the top of every deal, muscling in to every business anyone tries to set up, and using whatever means it has to in order to push the competition out of its way.  microsoft did this kind of stuff in it's prime and wasn't nearly as good at disguising it as google is, but it feels to me like we are trading one mafia boss for another, and i'm not happy about it.

Renegade:
I'm not so sure that licensing costs really matter that much. What is $100 per year for a license for a productivity machine used by someone that makes $80,000 a year? Nothing!

There's no way it's a licensing fee issue.

Put it this way, if you need to train people on an operating system that nobody knows (like OS X), you're going to need to pay for that training. Now, can you train someone for a new OS for less than the price of a Windows license? Unlikely.

I bought a Mac, planning to do development, and so far I find it much more resistant to getting things done than Windows. I can pull up a nice, easy GUI in Windows, but to get the same thing done in OS X I have to drop down to the COMMAND LINE!

Now, the command line is great, but seriously, you have to be brain dead to think that most people want to use it. It's massively intimidating.

For email and surfing, the Mac is ok. Windows is actually far better for multimedia consumption though. (OS X video handling is very poor compared to Windows -- try seeking inside of a video to find out why.)

So far, I find everything on OS X is just less than Windows counter-parts. It looks nice, but that's about it. (http://microsoft2apple.com/ - mostly rants.)

Nah. I have to go with the common assumption there that Google is simply doing it as a strategic move to undermine Microsoft. Windows is more secure than OS X and many other operating systems. Windows is more secure than Solaris out of the box. Solaris can be hardened, but its default installation isn't secure like Windows.

The biggest security issue is idiocy, and not the operating system. In light of that, the cynical side of me wants to reiterate: Windows is more secure than OS X. :P (There are actual studies about computer choices and personalities, and Mac users come out as arrogant plus a few other undesirable traits -- I forget -- maybe someone remembers.)

You cannot protect an idiot that insists on clicking on "super-sexo-matic.exe" in their email inbox, or someone that thinks they're getting a cut of Prince Ubugabe's $50 million fortune that's tied up in a secret bank account in Africa. They are hopeless.

If Google desktops are getting hacked in China, then it's their own fault. There's no excuse for any corporate computer to get hacked. Ever. That just reeks of an incompetent IT team or idiocy behind the keyboard. Which is it?

Nah. Choosing an OS that nobody knows enough about and where everything is difficult is a great way to increase security. There's a phrase for it. Security through obscurity. That's the only benefit of moving away from Windows.

Erm... I think that was kind of ranty...

Josh:
I would like to mention that I have been running Windows 7, and prior to that Windows Vista, without an antivirus on all of my home machines (6+) for 4 years now. No viruses, no infections.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version