ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Across-the-room Stability Monitor

(1/5) > >>

LuckMan212:
this idea might be pretty easy to code hopefully.... let me explain:

I do a lot of CPU overclocking and stability testing, burn-in etc and am always building and testing new systems.  This often involves long time-consuming sessions of running various torture tests such as Prime95, SuperPI 32M, OCCT, Memtest etc.  It is boring to stare at the screen for 4 hours straight so often I will go to the next room and watch TV or listen to music etc.  I like to glance over my shoulder to make sure the system is still up & running and has not BSOD'd, rebooted, crashed or frozen.  Sometimes its hard to tell if the system has frozen from across the room.

So, I am looking for a program that does the following:

1) opens a window that shows a "heartbeat" which can be something like alternating flashing colors, changing patterns, some sort of color cycling animation, etc.

2) this window ideally should be resizable so that it can be made larger depending on the resolution of the monitor being used.

3) pattern or colors should shift once per second, or maybe once every 2-3 seconds.

4) cpu + ram usage of the program itself should be as minimal as possible so as not to interfere with or steal resources from the other stability testing programs.

This would make life a lot easier for testing these systems....  ;)
Any takers?

jgpaiva:
I think a ahk script to do that wouldn't be too dificult.
The only think that worries me is the "low resurce" matter. Would 3mb of memory be too much?
I think that's the minimum a ahk script uses..

jgpaiva:
Ok, just made a small ahk script.. I don't know if it fits your request, but here goes:

--- ---; Stability Monitor
Menu, tray, noicon
gosub ShowGui
return

ShowGui:
  Gui, Add, Button,gButtonSubmit vButtonSubmit x0 y0 w20 h20 +default,&X
  Gui,  +AlwaysOnTop +Resize
  ; -SysMenu  +ToolWindow -caption
  Gui, Color, Red
  ChangeColor = red
  SetTimer, Changer, 1000
  Gui, Show, x200 y200 w20 h100,Stability Monitor
return

Changer:
  GoSub %ChangeColor%
return

red:
  Gui, Color, Red
  ChangeColor = green
return

Green:
  Gui, Color, Green
  ChangeColor = Blue
return

Blue:
  Gui, Color, Blue
  ChangeColor = Yellow
return

Yellow:
  Gui, Color, yellow
  ChangeColor = black
return

Black:
  Gui, Color, Black
  changeColor = red
return

ButtonSubmit:
exitapp
return

GuiClose:
exitapp
return

jgpaiva:
Here's the executable.

LuckMan212:
thanks jgpaiva, this is cool and seems to work great!
3mb for this app is a little high but since you are using AHK there is not much you can do. 

One question, why did you put an additional "X" button in the top left?  something wrong with the normal close button in the title bar?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version