ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does DRM Kill the End of a Movie??!?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I agree with the rant comments above - I was simply trying to offer a practical solution other than having to copy your entire DVD collection to unprotected format or simply give up on DVDs.

Having said that I don't think the firmware suggestion was a bad idea (however inconvenient). DVD players are basically simple computer systems with firmware. Firmware, like any software, carries bugs and firmware updates can fix them. If you wait for manufacturers to produce any perfect products you wouldn't be driving a car, watching TV, using the internet or anything else much beyond stone age technology!

I may have been lucky but I have a large collection of DVDs (Region 1 and Region 2) and have had almost no problems on 5 different DVD players (including Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba machines) or over 10 DVD drives in a PC (mostly Pioneer or Plextor).

I agree that DVD formats should comply with DVD spec - but I thought that copy protection was included in the spec of DVD formats, just as it is in Blu-ray. Having said that there isn't much point in the protection since it is all fundamentally flawed and anyone with a computer is capable of removing it with just two mouse clicks. Everyone would be much happier is studios were sensible and simply released unprotected disks.

Stoic Joker:
I'm not ruling out the firmware option, I just have no idea how to "flash" a television.

app103:
I know it is DVD's that we are talking about, but something similar started happening to music CD's in one of my computers about 5-6 years ago. Everything would be fine till it got to one point on the disk, then I couldn't get it to play past that. Couldn't even skip ahead to the next track. I could skip back though, just to have it repeat again when it got to the same spot.

The CD's worked fine in any other player or computer.

It started happening more frequently, and with CD's that used to work in that drive. That's when I knew it was a drive issue and not really the fault of the disk (and there was no DRM involved, or that would have just caused an immediate software crash, and it wouldn't have played at all)

I am not sure how old your TV is, or if you might need to have the drive cleaned, but maybe that is a possibility, too.

What I am trying to say is it could be either dying or dirty.

Carol Haynes:
I'm not ruling out the firmware option, I just have no idea how to "flash" a television.
-Stoic Joker (May 31, 2010, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

There will be instructions with the firmware. I did it on an old DVD player once and you just burned the firmware on a CD and stuck it in the drive and the machine recognised it was a firmware upgrade. It was no big deal.

Carol Haynes:
What I am trying to say is it could be either dying or dirty.
-app103 (May 31, 2010, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It could be a laser on the edge ... I have had a few laser devices die but they have generally been working one day and not the next.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version