ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cell phone number porting

(1/2) > >>

edbro:
Anybody know how number porting works? I ordered a new phone online (HTC Incredible) which is currently backordered. I asked to have my current number ported. I'm assuming that the phone will come already activated. So, what happens after Verizon activates my new phone with the ported number from Sprint? There will be a couple of days overlap with both old and new phones having the same number, or is my old phone disabled as soon as Verizon activates the new one? Will I be without a phone while the new one is in transit?

bgd77:
You are not living in EU, are you?

edbro:
No, USA

Eóin:
Well I'm not sure how the US system differs but if you're buying the Phone SIM free, and US SIM cards aren't locked to a particular phone then all you'd need to is manually transfer the cards.

Basically the EU way was (is) that phones were locked to a network, but a networks card could be used in any unlocked phone.

bgd77:
I think that edbro wants to port his number from one provider to another, so not only change phones.

I have ported numbers in my country, which is in the EU. Porting a number means a new SIM card is needed. When the new SIM card is activated with the same number, the old SIM is deactivated. Will the new phone come with an already activated SIM card? Because here the SIM cards come separately and they are activated the first time when you use it.

Basically the EU way was (is) that phones were locked to a network, but a networks card could be used in any unlocked phone.
-Eóin (May 27, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

This does not apply to all telecom operators. There is one in my country that does not lock phones to its network, so a SIM card from another company can be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version