ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Word 2007: Are Table Styles safe to use now?

<< < (2/9) > >>

superboyac:
Very interesting. Well obviously they've put more thought into it than I have. I guess they would still say the same today, most of the Office MVPs are pretty good at staying up-to-date.
-daddydave (May 26, 2010, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
yeah, but all their official documents that everyone references were written years ago.  So I'm wondering if things have changed, because there are a lot of significant changes in word 2007.

superboyac:
Holy crap:
Do Not Use Tables!!

I just did a table, and it completely fucked up my manual I've been writing.  It crashed word, then it said it was recovering.  Then the recovery file didn't have a lot of my latest changes, including all the table stuff I did.  If not for Autover (thanks 40hz!) I would be losing it right about now.  Microsoft needs to fix this pronto.  you can't let this go version after version.  That is bullshit.  Tables are a fundamental feature of Word.

superboyac:
Question:
would it be better to make the table in Excel and link it inside Word?

Target:
Holy crap:
Do Not Use Tables!!-superboyac (May 26, 2010, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

interesting, but what did you do?  Was it a massive table? did it have some sort of complex styling going on?

the quotes were interesting reading, but i have to wonder how serious an issue this actually is.  Tables have always been interesting (testing?) to work with, but this is the first I've heard of this 'undocumented feature'.

I would probably avoid embedding an excel sheet in your doc unless you really need it (personally, i don't like embedded things in docs at all).  While it may be simple Excel has it own 'quirks', and you probably won't have access to some of the 'niceties' that are available in word

steeladept:
I have to ask why Tables are so "fundamental"?  One thing that annoys me to no end, as an IT guy AND a printer, is people using the wrong tool for the job just because they are comfortable in that environment.  Now I know you are willing to stretch, but many are not.  TABLES ARE BAD,BAD,BAD! (In Word).  Word is meant to be a word processor, not a spreadsheet.  If you are just formatting a report, that is one thing, that is what tab stops are for, but if you want form filled tables, then it is really the wrong tool.  Microsoft adds these features because of requests, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD be added.  Excel is designed around tables and should be used for that purpose.  I only miss the Binder tool Microsoft used to have that allowed you to combine pages from tools like Word and Excel into a single manuscript.</rant>

Now back to the original program....

Why would you need tables in your Word document?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version