ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's Official: Apple Is Now Worth More Than Microsoft*

(1/8) > >>

zridling:

What a difference a decade makes... well sort of, if you believe Apple's funny-money accounting methods. Microsoft stockholders are calling for Steve Ballmer to be replaced as the U.S. Justice Department investigates Apple. Anyone else sick of hearing about ipad, itouch, ipod till ipuke?

app103:
Why am I finding it hard to believe that Apple has absolutely no debt?

Gwen7:
-app103 (May 26, 2010, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't.   :-))

why would Apple need to borrow money from anybody? its cultlike customers seem willing to reach for their plastic everytime Apple releases another one of its expensive toys.

with friends like these, who needs creditors?

Carol Haynes:
Apple's product placement is second to none and if you believe your eyes on TV and in films Apple computers are used in such diverse places as:

Counter Terrorism (24 - but they also seem to use Dell a lot)
MRI hospital scanners (House)
MI6 (UK series Spooks)

Love 'em or hate 'em you have to admit Apple have got the word out to Joe public.

I now get requests for new systems which start "I have been wondering if it is worth buying an Apple computer to replace my Windows machine. Everyone tells me that Apple's never go wrong ..."

I then ask them what they want to do with their new computer and most people want to use the Internet, email and Microsoft Office.

Marketing is winning the war despite common sense!

Having said that customers usually settle for Windows when they see the price, the catalogue of Macs I have been asked to fix, know bugs in MacOS and my unvarnished comparison of the actual hardware found in machines with like-4-like price tags.

I'm not a Windows zealot or a Mac hater (and I can see that in some specific fields it might be good to move to Mac) but I get really fed up with having this conversation with customers who are being blinded by Mac religious zealots and a lot of flannel.

app103:
-app103 (May 26, 2010, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't.   :-))

why would Apple need to borrow money from anybody? its cultlike customers seem willing to reach for their plastic everytime Apple releases another one of its expensive toys.

with friends like these, who needs creditors?
-Gwen7 (May 26, 2010, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

One doesn't necessarily have to borrow money to have debt. Debt is a normal part of running a business, especially one that deals with physical goods.

You order parts from another company, either paying on delivery or paying partially up front and the rest on delivery. You are now in debt until the bill is paid, which even if you pay it off within 30 days of delivery, you were still in debt till you paid it off.

You hire workers. You pay them once a week. Until you pay them, you are in debt.

Unless Steve Jobs has a magical elephant hiding in his garage that craps out all his merchandise, without any need to be fed, and all his store employees are robots also crapped out by this magical elephant, Apple has debt that wasn't figured into those totals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version