ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you know a free HTML editor with real time preview in adjacent pane?

<< < (12/17) > >>

wraith808:
Alleycode seems to be free.

HankFriedman:
I wish those adding comments would look over the whole thread first to see if a program has already been mentioned.  :(

I just tested Webcoder 2010, and corresponded with its very nice author.  :)

Unfortunately, while it has an active preview, one has to hit the F12 key every time one wants a refresh. I have been looking for a program that has an effective auto-refresh.

In answer to the query, what did I think of the Microsoft Sharepoint, the answer is that the preview was well executed, but the HTML editing functions were way too few compared with most solid HTML editors.

Thank you all of your contributions. You have inspired me to keep on looking.

David.P:
hmmm, SharePoint Designer, and "way too few HTML editing functions"...?

Are we talking about the same software?

My impression is that SharePoint Designer is almost overly complex, compared to most Editors that have been mentioned in this thread:

Actually I think I'll stick with SharePoint Designer because it's WYSIWYG-editing capabilities, and synchronized source code view are the best I've seen so far in any software I've tried.

Btw, neither Webcoder, nor MyEclipse or Alleycode have been mentioned before.

HankFriedman:
To David.P:

I had evaluated Alleycode during my first swing years ago, and must have left it out.

I re-evaluated it just now and still don't find it worthwhile because:

1. It only offers a horizontal (and on top!) preview -- I wanted a side-by-side preview pane.

2. I am a big fan of macros, snippets, etc. and Alleycode doesn't offer these. They really speed up my coding, and I really need them.

And yes, I wasn't specifically referring to you with regard to people not reading the whole post before.

The yearly fee for MyEclipse seems a bit much to me, given that you can purchase other programs just once and be done with paying for them. But I will probably examine it too.

Thank you and everyone very much for keeping this thread alive.

David.P:
Alleycode? I thought we were discussing the functions of SharePoint Designer, lastly.

Anyway, I'll go for the latter -- I really have come to like it.

Cheers David.P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version