ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Space + click on file reveals "Open With" list of programs

<< < (2/7) > >>

tomos:
The XYplorer implementation allows 'normal' opening and then using a shortcut keycombo you open the list.
You edit an ini file for the list but it's all made very easy really (& it's a set it once & forget it scenario)

I dont know if that would be possible with AHK but I'd certainly love to see something like it as well!

nudone are you more interested in the actual "Open with" menu or would something like XY implementation suit?

nudone:
From your response I take it that adding an extra item on the right button menu like "Edit with such and such" would not fill the bill either.
-daddydave (May 24, 2010, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
i agree, it ought to be fine, but the problem is that my context menu is so full of other things it takes too much trying to look through it - which is one reason i don't use the normal "Open With" menu. it simple takes too long to identify where it is in the menu.

perhaps if "Open With" was always stuck at the top of the context menu (right click menu) then i'd use it. well, i would use it.

@tomos
sorry, not using XYplorer (i'm a dopus man). but really, this would be more something i'd want to be universal throughout the system and not tied down to any file manager - i use the desktop a lot for working on files.

daddydave:
EDIT: @nudone: OK I read your posts another few more times, you're not saying your Open With menu is full, just the initial context menu. I don't see an easy way to move Open With to the top of that menu, but that's not to say there isn't a way. Hmmm...

I'm still trying to get a fix on what this would look like (I don't think I am competent enough to code it, but I'm just trying to pin down requirements.) It's almost like you need an Open With 2 menu which only has your favorite Open Withs, and the only other requirement is a hotkey to go simulate the Context Menu key and then the shortcut key for Open With 2 (perhaps the '2' key).

In fact, before Open With, there was Send To, which you can access by going Start > Run > shell:sendto. Each shortcut creates a menu item which appears on the Send To menu for all file types.

But I'm guessing your SendTo menu looks like mine:

(Yes, I don't use half of this and probably do need to clean this up.)

daddydave:
(the "Open With" menu is pretty basic - so, maybe it would be nice to add extra features.)
--- End quote ---

What do you have in mind, other than the hotkey?

nudone:
i had this in the back of my mind all along and you've prompted me to do it, daddydave  :)

--- Code: AutoIt ---CapsLock & /::Send {AppsKey} h {Enter}Ctrl & LButton::Send {AppsKey} h {Enter}
so, if a file is highlighted:
capslock and ? will display "open with"
Ctrl + left mouse click will display "open with"

not brilliant, you'll get the idea. would be nice if it was just the "open with" menu that appeared all on it's own.

edit:
forgot to say, this is just something i've taken out of a bigger script so the capslock key is always off unless i hold down capslock + shift to turn it on.

ps.
can't really think of any extra features at the moment. i was probably jumping the gun there; i forgat that there's an add more programs at the bottom of the "open with" menu. maybe if each item was prefixes with a number so you could just hit that to open the program would be good.

pps.
when using the ctrl + left mouse to open the menu, it would probably be good to use the scroll wheel to select a program from the list. i might be able to do that - if my autohotkey skills hold out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version