ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

GPS Unit Recommendations?

<< < (4/9) > >>

wraith808:
This is a real problem. GPS as a driving navigation device needs to live up to the kinds of standards set in the automotive industry. While you can't expect 100%, expecting more than 50% of trips to be trouble-free isn't unreasonable.

The main problem I see is that for unfamiliar places, this is where you need the GPS to be accurate and need it to to be responsive. You just can't stop in the middle of traffic because your GPS unit is slow and you've already missed 2 turns because of it. You'd quickly find out what road rage is like on the receiving end. Steering you wrong is simply a hazard. Especially in heavy traffic where you need to be paying attention to the road, and not constantly glancing at the GPS while you wait for it to update because you're now hopelessly lost.

Common sense can't help you in some of those driving situations (I take it that you mean you need to use common sense to know that the unit will make mistakes for things like out of date maps, etc.). The only thing you can do is to make sure that you prioritize your driving and get ready to suck up the GPS unit's mistakes. I'm just tired of sucking it up for half all the trips I need it for. :(
-Renegade (May 21, 2010, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

It really also depends on where you are- GPS reception isn't 100% accurate and maps can be out of date, or just not cover areas, or have inbuilt mistakes in them (at one time, the GPS wouldn't even take you to my house, but to another place).  It's just like cell service in a lot of ways, where you have to make allowances to use the service (or not) in areas until the technology gets better.  And sometimes, while our expectations may seem reasonable to the user, they aren't reasonable given the technologies, IME.

Renegade:
It really also depends on where you are- GPS reception isn't 100% accurate and maps can be out of date, or just not cover areas, or have inbuilt mistakes in them (at one time, the GPS wouldn't even take you to my house, but to another place).  It's just like cell service in a lot of ways, where you have to make allowances to use the service (or not) in areas until the technology gets better.  And sometimes, while our expectations may seem reasonable to the user, they aren't reasonable given the technologies, IME.
-wraith808 (May 21, 2010, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

True. I don't really so much have a problem with those issues so much as a slow CPU and bad software. :( I really miss 1-finger drag navigation. :(

bgd77:
This is what I meant about common sense and why no one should trust 100% a GPS device:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bradford/7962212.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8173308.stm

Renegade:
This is what I meant about common sense and why no one should trust 100% a GPS device:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bradford/7962212.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8173308.stm
-bgd77 (May 21, 2010, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. Just stunning. Reminds me of the Darwin Awards.

bgd77:
I think I went a little off-topic, sorry for that.

To answer your original question: a friend of mine studied the GPS market and decided to buy a Garmin one. It seems that Garmin also have products for the military and the government, this is what impressed him. Some models have a feature that tell you on what line to be on the highway in order to not miss an exit.

He was quite satisfied with it, even though the lady that dictates the route went insane a few times. I don't know about the finger-drag map feature.

One advantage of a dedicated GPS device over the cell phone would be the screen size which, naturally, is larger for the former.

The phone I use works quite well, with the minor quirks I have mentioned.

My suggestion would be to try to find out which GPS producer has the best map for Australia and try to find some reviews on the internet for that company's products to see if it has good performances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version