ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

GPS Unit Recommendations?

<< < (2/9) > >>

4wd:
This is a strange question but:

Why didn't/don't you just buy a Korean Sat Nav unit, (distinct from GPS unit AFAIAC), and load the maps for wherever you want in it?

cranioscopical:
I like the newer Garmin models.
I use them in my cars and have had no problems other than a brief delay finding the satellites (something that's been addressed in the latest models).
When I've rented cars in the States I've rented Garmin models with them -- again, no problems.
I can't compare to other brands, alas, as I lack experience of them.

techidave:
How do these models compare to the gps software on cell phones??

Perry Mowbray:
-techidave (May 20, 2010, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that would depend if the phone uses sat for its GPS or mobile tower (not sure what that's called).

Sat has a better accuracy than triangulation between mobile towers (not that I have a phone with GPS on it).

Is it still called GPS on a phone?

Renegade:
This is a strange question but:

Why didn't/don't you just buy a Korean Sat Nav unit, (distinct from GPS unit AFAIAC), and load the maps for wherever you want in it?
-4wd (May 20, 2010, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wish. They aren't available here, so that's one problem. I could get someone to ship one here, but then I run into the problem that I may not be able to put maps on it. The one I have, ALMap,  I know I can't put an Australian map into it.

The other reason is that I didn't know just how poor other GPS units could be... I thought that they'd have some basic usability features, like being able to scroll a map with your finger, and a CPU that wasn't outdated in the 1970's. I suppose my perception or expectations were grossly distorted. But, I should look into it. It might just be the best option if I can find some hacks to get one to work here.

-techidave (May 20, 2010, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

This might just be the second best option. I thought that a dedicated unit would be best, but I'm starting to doubt that. The GPS hardware in my TomTom is slow as well, taking 2 minutes or so to acquire a position.

For PDAs, you can get GPS hardware to attach to it. The software then just uses the sensor data. My GPS in Korea was like that (HP iPaq PDA running ALMap). Worked beautifully.

Has anyone used any PDA or smartphone mapping software? (With or without an external GPS hardware.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version