ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?

<< < (2/9) > >>

tomos:
the direct connection sounds more complicated cause neither PC has a network card-tomos (May 19, 2010, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmm.. you mentioned that "Each PC has one network socket" so it shouldn't be a problem..
-lanux128 (May 19, 2010, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Okay, you got me there Lanux :D

Thing is I'm not sure what they are lol (embarrassed laughter) - I use them for the internet connection (broadband) but I presume they could be used for a network style connection
I'll order one of those cables & try it out.

tomos:
if you can find a crossover cable, then you can connect the 2 PCs directly..

• http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html
-lanux128 (May 19, 2010, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm only getting to this now :)
that page says I need to assign an IP address to each computer, and links to this page for XP:
How to Set IP Address and Other Network Information in Windows XP

Now, both computers are currently setup to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'
It is not clear to me how to proceed from there -
(1) do I still assign the IP address manually? or
(2) do I assign an IP address manually on the 'alternative tab' ? or
(3) do I create a new lan connection? (the older PC already has two lan connections)

my main worry is that #1 & 2 would affect my internet connection - I know I could just try it & undo after but thought it best to ask first :)
thanks for any help!

Stoic Joker:
Assuming the XP defaults of DHCP & APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) both machines will self assign IP addresses in the 169.254.x.x network range when the cross-over cable is connected between them (time-outs being what they are, this tends to take a while 5-10min) This should work fine for your (quick-N-dirty) purposes.

tomos:
Assuming the XP defaults of DHCP & APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) both machines will self assign IP addresses in the 169.254.x.x network range when the cross-over cable is connected between them (time-outs being what they are, this tends to take a while 5-10min) This should work fine for your (quick-N-dirty) purposes.
-Stoic Joker (August 16, 2010, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks Stoic - I did try that way but didnt wait very long. Will have another go.

lanux128:
i guess Stoic may have this covered but just in case, you can access the network connection in the control panel and change the IP address range if you wish. for quick access, type 'ncpa.cpl' in the run box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version