ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What to use to back up 1:1 ?

<< < (5/7) > >>

MerleOne:
Regarding zip, etcetera: I want to be able to browse my backup, in Explorer, just as you would brose your every day hard drive. Further more I download several zip files each day, so I *know* first-hand that they are much too fragile for back up jobs. There is not a month without "container may be broken, etc...". This is unacceptable for a back up. So in general containers are not wanted, zip containers in particular.
-Curt (May 19, 2010, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then you could use OCB, which relies on winrar, to perform backups.  It's some kind of front-end, with all winrar options (almost all of them) that is really nicely done.  The free version is very usable, the pay-version adds some features like CD/DVD burning.

With winrar as archive format, you can specify an added amount of redundancy that protects your archive in a very nice way.

Minor drawback : you have to get a registered winrar version.  I know there are some gievaways for the 3.80 version here and there.

OCB : http://acritum.com/ocb/

Shades:
Personally I use a small, free and portable piece of software called: Pathsync

The link leads you to the review from this software on the freewaregenuis site.

Does exactly what I want it to do in a nice, simple and clean interface. One thing though, delta copy support is not there

Curt:
It was my impression that Pathsync not is supporting Unicode.

Shades:
You are right, Curt. After my post I started to read some more about PathSymc and saw that unicode was not supported.

Darn, by now I should know the correct order of things (proofread first, then post on the forum). Sorry about forgetting that particular requirement.

Innuendo:
I want an image but I don't want an "image" file format; it too is proprietary, I imagine (sorry!). I want a 1:1 copy; a clone (not of the drive sectors, but of the files)! Preferably it should offer automatic, silent, incremental updates of the back up.  What should I use?-Curt (May 18, 2010, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you want an actual backup program and not a file synchronizer you may want to look at Genie Backup Manager Home. While it has an 'image' file format you don't have to worry about proprietary file structures because the images are easily converted into standard zip archives whenever you wish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version