ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What to use to back up 1:1 ?

<< < (2/7) > >>

AndyM:
I use Acronis Home 11 and have an older version on another machine.  I don't use it for incremental backups, simply do a full image of each of my two hard drives every few days.

Each drive has around 20g, the .tib files are around 10g each.  It takes around 15 minutes to image each drive and around the same to verify the backup.  Total time around an hour.

I've had to restore backups to each computer a couple of times, no problem.  Plus it's been easy to retrieve individual files/folders from the .tib files.

superboyac:
It sounds like you want Super Flexible File Synchronizer:
http://www.superflexible.com/

It has a gargantuan amount of options.  It can create a mirror of your files however you like.  I use it to keep multiple copies of my files on a couple of backup drives.  I also have a simpler program called DirSync that does the same thing, with much fewer poweruser features, but more pleasant to use:
http://www.archersoft.com/

Now, as far as doing incremental updates, that's a somewhat different story.  SFFS can do incremental backups.  Of course, setting it up is more complicated than just mirroring files.  But it's capable of doing it, and since SFFS is such a fantastic program, you know it will do it well.

Personally, I also use Genie backup Manager in addition to SFFS.  While SFFS backs up ALL my files (mirroring on multiple drives), Genie does an incremental backup on just my documents (like Word files, presentations, homework, etc....but NOT large files like videos, music, installers, etc.).  Also, SFFS backs up the Genie incremental backups.

As you can see, there are multiple things going on.  In case you haven't read it yet, you should read mouser's very detailed article on how to backup and the importance of it:
Power User Backup Guide

I also have written a little something on backing up, but mouser's is much better for you:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7940.0

And finally, a while back, I created a flowchart showing my backup philosophy.  I created this based on a discussion with mouser (see the original post here):

superboyac:
Also, I want to freak out anyone who doesn't back up, to motivate them to backup.  This is an excerpt from my article I posted above.  I just remembered how close I was to another disaster because I didn't used to backup:

-------------------
-----EXCERPT-----
I started Windows and everything was fine (it takes a little longer to boot while the SATA adpater does something).  I formatted the drive with NTFS using Windows default administration tools.  I set up DirSync to transfer the information over and after double-checking several times, I started the process.  It took a while (a few hours?) but when it was done, it was all very good.  I checked to see if the data was properly backed up and everything.  I was happy, and took a couple of hours off for good behavior.  I came back to the computer to do some other stuff, was browsing the internet, and, BAM, everything freezes on the screen.  I couldn't do anything, I couldn't even reboot or type, move the mouse...nothing.  I thought, "No big deal, the computer just crashed."  When I restarted, the BIOS would not recognize my old Seagate 300 GB storage drive.  It was gone.  That was a disaster.  I was so freaked out and devastated that I had to go on my bed and just lie down for a minute.  You see, I had forgotten that I had just backed up all the data only hours before!  It took me a few minutes to remember that fact, but when I did, I was relieved a little.  However, now, I was on pins and needles because my data was still only in one location on the new Seagate.  Just to be safe, I pulled the drive out and was not intending to use it again until I receive the replacement drive from Seagate.  THAT'S WHY YOU WANT THE 5-YEAR WARRANTY; THAT OLD DRIVE WAS COVERED UNTIL 2010!

Curt:

It has a gargantuan amount of options. 
-superboyac (May 18, 2010, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

gargantuan
adj.: enormous, immense, huge, gigantic
-Babylon
--- End quote ---

Yes, it sounds as this really may be it.

To get a full impression of the available features, it is recommended to download and try the software and take a direct look at the available options.
--- End quote ---

I will take it for a (30 days fully featured) spin. Thanks for telling!  :up:

tomos:

It has a gargantuan amount of options. 
-superboyac (May 18, 2010, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

gargantuan
adj.: enormous, immense, huge, gigantic
-Babylon
--- End quote ---

Yes, it sounds as this really may be it.

To get a full impression of the available features, it is recommended to download and try the software and take a direct look at the available options.
--- End quote ---

I will take it for a (30 days fully featured) spin. Thanks for telling!  :up:
-Curt (May 18, 2010, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

there is a Beta of Version 5 on their download page - Darwin was saying a while ago that it was working for him without problem (build 35 now, so it's been worked on a bit). I've downloaded it but unfortunately it's still sitting in my 'Install' folder..)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version