ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR version 2 - discuss the best way to handle 'actions'

<< < (8/16) > >>

mouser:
i like some of what Jan is saying, the idea that you can search for anything combined actions and files and the put it on the queue with a keypress, and using only 1 edit box.  does make things simpler in some ways.

i'm just trying to imagine how it will work when you want to select an item that isn't at the top of the results, and then how to change your mind about what you've queued up.

boy this stuff is really tricky.

jgpaiva:
Good to know we're on the same page, jan-S! :D
I agree with you, replacing {space} with {tab} in my example might be the solution.

But i couldn't give a working solution for the launch of a command other than the first, and i think your solution also has a problem:
Even to select the first result, you have to do {tab}{tab}. Although it's a minor overhead, i think this could be solved with having f# selecting the option and alt + # launching it. This would be a smaller overhead, since the user could  press f# to select, then press enter to launch it with the default action.

@mouser: to delete something that already is in the queue, could be used ctrl + blackspace, or something similar..

mouser:
part of the challenge is figuring out a solution that doesnt require opening the help file and searching for a day looking for the magic keystroke to do things..

it's hard trying to do all these things at once, make it suitable for newbies, and pros, and support all these different ways of working.

Jan-S:
i think your solution also has a problem:
Even to select the first result, you have to do {tab}{tab}.-jgpaiva (February 03, 2006, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Some combination like ALT+# would be ok, too, but I personally would rather tap tab (pun intended) twice instead of having to press a key combination. But as we are speaking of the command selection, # or RETURN alone would launch the command. The only problem with # / RETURN launching the entry directly is when selecting a file because we may want to execute a command on the file instead of executing it. That's what I suggested TAB, # for.

As for dequeuing: Both ESC and SHIFT+TAB should dequeue the last added item and return back to the appropriate list (e.g. when you are in 'mp3 > enqueue > [?]', ESC would return to 'mp3 > [?]'). Or did you mean something else?

allen:
part of the challenge is figuring out a solution that doesnt require opening the help file and searching for a day looking for the magic keystroke to do things..-mouser (February 03, 2006, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

One thing to consider is something I've seen in several applications in recent years -- a section of the help file devoted exclusively to listing keyboard accellerators and link directly to it in the help menu.

As for keeping it newb friendly -- the keystrokes and stuff aren't likely going to be used by anyone but power users, so it seems the trick there is to have all those available shortcuts available as items in a right click contect menu as well as, perhaps, a drop down button in the toolbar.  An "actions" button, so to speak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version